Fastener Information

That is really interesting.You can see how it will work from the video. Good luck to our friends in Fla. From a true Katrina survivor.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Nord-Lock washers are used on the C6 ZR1 Corvette rear axle outer stubshafts. I’m using them on my SLC as well.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ken, I will install these right now on my SLC rear big-ass axel nuts. Do you have a source?

Neil, Thank you for this info, This is precisely what is needed on my car. I have been using lock tight but I also have been nervous about its effectiveness. Even cleaning everything with alcohol, then using Loctite primer and then blue Loctite hasn't made me stop worrying.

Norlock seems to be the only real method for effective prevention of these nuts losing torque over time/usage.

Again thank you for this.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
It all depends whose axle stub shafts you are using Howard. The difference is in the size of the nut. I think you are using the same stub shafts as me (DSS 33spline C7 Corvette). If so….the following pictures shows the part number and fit up.

For anyone else using the upgraded factory rear uprights with the C5 Corvette bearings and accompanying stub shafts I could tell you which ones to buy at McMaster-Carr if you told me the outside diameter of the threads on the end of the stub shaft.

Same with the original C4 Corvette rear wheel bearing/stub shafts as supplied by RCR. Give me the outside diameter of the threads on the end of the stub shaft and I can tell you which Nord-Lock washer to buy at McMaster-Carr.

image.jpg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Howard here is the McMaster-Carr part number for your application if using the same stub shafts as me #91074A353. They are $13.96 for a pack of two (One pack does both rear stubshafts). They are reusable as well.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I did a write up about them on my build log in May/22 post #1058.

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks for that Ken. Ordered abd on the way. IMHO I don't think that the axles on these cars should be put together without them. But that is just me and my free opinion.

I use Nord Locks all over the place on the racer, they're the only thing that reliably keeps the CV bolts tight, and I've tried a lot of threadlockers, threadlockers with schnorr washers, even bearing fit adhesives and primers. In the end I used to just retorque them every 20-30 miles. (yes, twenty to thirty, there's no zeros missing there)
Nordlocks keep 'em tight all the time.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
The company I work for uses them to hold large projectors, lenses and housings. Likely 125lbs and a total of 150 projectors with many bolts.

These are in a Flight Sim like application that gets beaten down with crazy vibrations 15hrs a day. Electrical wires break off in panels and such other things happen, but no loose bolts.

Have not seen a broken torque stripe yet and bolts stay tight. Expensive but seem to really work well.

Back