Fasteners used on Original Cars

HILLY

Supporter
At the risk of asking an uninteresting question I would like to learn if there was any exact specifications for the fasteners used on the original GT40 builds.
I realize that there are some unique fasteners used in the build but were the general BA / UNF / UNC items just off the shelf from any available supplier or did the specification call for a more stringent criteria.
Besides a specific supplier I would also be interested t know of any specific considerations such as strength and surface treatment of these fasteners.
The parts books note the physical sizes but has no reference to any further specifications.
Any info would be appreciated.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Peter,
I think the problem all of us building close replicas are going to have, is we really need access to a 'time capsule' museum car. I've looked for details such as you mention several times on race cars and you can tell that most bolts etc have been changed several times and for what was closest to hand at the time.
Now if one of our French friends could get me close access to the car in the Le Mans museum, i'd be happy to fly out and get the details.
Any offers Mes Ami ?

Back