Fe 427

Hi, can anyone tell me what the 'FE' stands for? I know the 427 represents the capacity. Thanks keith.

Keith,
the most popular is Ford / Edsel but it might in fact just stand for "Ford Engine" as in quite a few of the older service parts catalogues you get all sorts of differant Ford engines described as an FE.
Just to confuse things further the "FE" in a truck is designated "FT" for Ford Truck and to make matters worse they added an extra cubic inch for the truck engines, as in 361 and 391 for a 360 and 390. In reality they were exactly the same capacity, very strange !
I am sure some of our colonial friends will tell you something differant, though, later in the day.
Mike

Ron Earp

Admin
Wrong forum. Being moved to the engine forum.

Oh, and Farm Engine, because that is the best use for them! :)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Keith,
the most popular is Ford / Edsel but it might in fact just stand for "Ford Engine" as in quite a few of the older service parts catalogues you get all sorts of differant Ford engines described as an FE.
Just to confuse things further the "FE" in a truck is designated "FT" for Ford Truck and to make matters worse they added an extra cubic inch for the truck engines, as in 361 and 391 for a 360 and 390. In reality they were exactly the same capacity, very strange !
I am sure some of our colonial friends will tell you something differant, though, later in the day.
Mike

The displacement tags were used to I.D. the FE from the FT. Whille the actual displacement is the same (360/361) there are many parts that do not interchange....like the cranks! The "FT"s have massive front snouts to allow big, multi sheaf crank pullys for air brake compressors, etc. And the crants in FTs are forged.

The displacement tags were used to I.D. the FE from the FT. Whille the actual displacement is the same (360/361) there are many parts that do not interchange....like the cranks! The "FT"s have massive front snouts to allow big, multi sheaf crank pullys for air brake compressors, etc. And the crants in FTs are forged.

The FT cranks will fit any FE if you turn down the snout, it's got to be quite a cheap way of getting a steel crank for a 390 or a center oil 427.
Mike

Back