Ferrari 360 engine and transaxle

Rob, you may already know this but on the early 360 engines there were 2 critical changes necessary:
1. Replacement of the cam variator shaft – critical owing to dire consequences of failure (engine is toast).
2. Starter ring gear (3-bolt to 6-bolt).

the lift can be anything till the spring binds, then the spring is changed, and again lift can be increased, or to the point the buckets start to fail..... etc etc etc etc,
rule of thumb is that there's no point in running more lift than 1/4th of the valve diameter, hence the nice thing about 3 intake valves: smaller valves means less lift required, + possible smaller and lighter single valve, with less engergy required to opperate, All this adds to higher rpm capabilities which equals more power for the torque produced and that is where that intake port comes into play....

like pointed out before. it's an engineering marvel.

good going Mesa and Thanks for sharing, quetsion though

Has this engine got the cam fazing only in the timing of it, or does it also have varriable lift?
I understand that ferrari has use some sort of elliptical lop desing and that the complete profile-part of the cam touching the bucket could shift left to right changing the complet profile of it for a givven RPM, if so could you show us that? I've only read it in a mag once or twice but cannot find any pictures of it anywhere. would be nice!

grtz Thomas

Last edited:
Has this engine got the cam fazing only in the timing of it, or does it also have varriable lift?
I understand that ferrari has use some sort of elliptical lop desing and that the complete profile-part of the cam touching the bucket could shift left to right changing the complet profile of it for a givven RPM, if so could you show us that? I've only read it in a mag once or twice but cannot find any pictures of it anywhere. would be nice!

grtz Thomas

Each exhaust camshaft has a timing variator which, by the way, is controlled by the Motronic ECU. Something to think about when changing electronics.

It does nothing more than retard the exhaust (only) timing by 10 degrees under certain conditions (like high rpm).

Scott,
The Pectel unit does have the ability to control VCT so it should be able to handle the job. Thanks for the heads up on the updates for the engine, fortunately I was already aware of the need.

Thomas,
As Scott said there is no cam profile altering technology in this engine, only timing.

Scott,
The Pectel unit does have the ability to control VCT so it should be able to handle the job. Thanks for the heads up on the updates for the engine, fortunately I was already aware of the need.

Thomas,
As Scott said there is no cam profile altering technology in this engine, only timing.

It's sounds like you know what you are doing so you should have some fun! My 360 had a Tubi exhaust and no cats, and there is a nice tunnel up the canyon from me. I loved the sound of the flat plane crank engine at 8500 rpm in the tunnel, sounded like an F1 car.

As my SLC nears delivery I need to create some room, therefore I’m getting off the fence and officially offering my Ferrari powertrain for sale.

360 Modena, five valves per cylinder, titanium valves and rods, cable shift 6 speed. 17,500 USD for everything I have.

Engine, clutch, transaxle, approximately 18,000 miles. Heads and pan pulled for inspection, Ferrari service and parts manual CD included with sale.

No induction system (I planned to fabricate my own ITB manifold), no generator or A/C pump.

Main needed items – cam belts, cam belt covers, cam belt tensioners, one cam variator, external oil return pipe, full gasket set, 6 bolt starter ring gear, starter.

Rob

Bump -
Reminder I still have this trick little toy in my garage and would like to see someone make good use of it.

I'm open to offers

Thanks
Rob

You haven't found a suitable home for it yet? Wish it was in my current budget, but I'm set on a V-12 and don't need another engine sitting in my shop, dang things get me distracted too easily. Too many ideas and too little space.

Guys
I still have this engine and it's time to move it and the gearbox. I am open to offers, make an offer you feel good about and maybe it will end up in your garage. I will give all non joking sincere offers due consideration.

thanks Gents

Though I haven’t picked a chassis yet, at least I’m in the game.

Over the holiday break I picked up this little jewel. It’s a Ferrari 360 engine and six speed transmission from a totaled Modena. Since the engine had been sitting a number of years the engine needed some serious cleaning up, so I attacked it with degreaser and a power washer right off.

First impression – the plating on the fasteners and pulleys is crap. Most of these components were corroded to some extent or badly discolored. Since I absolutely hate wrinkle finish, I stripped the valve covers with much joy in anticipation of a nice glossy Ferrari red powder coating, yah baby, maybe I’ll toss in the pulleys to match.

The second step was to pull the heads and pan for inspection and check of the clearances. Engine appears to be in good shape internally with only dirty oil to cause any concern. The original owner was a little lax with his oil changes judging from this example.

After inspection and comments regarding on the multi angle 5 valve arrangement, the corresponding cam lobe angles and the hand ported appearance of the intake tract. The next thing my engine builder said was “there is room for bigger pistons in it”. Oh brother here we go.

I plan on using a Pectel ECU to operate the engine and fuel. The system is capable up to V12 and can handle fly by wire throttles and traction control, cool. Speaking of throttles I’ll probably use a custom rack or convert big bore motorcycle units in place of the stock (heavy) intake system. This will require a custom made set of manifolds but that should be simple enough, I’ll paint the intake manifolds red too.

The engine, less the variable length intake manifolds, a/c pump, clutch and exhaust manifolds weighs 381 lbs with 1.5 gallons of oil in it. The clutch pack weighs 30 lbs, the intake about 40 lbs, each exhaust manifold 15 lbs. The transmission weighs 190 lbs without the starter.

More later, if there is any interest.
Rob

Hi Rob
I am looking for a transaxle but I am told that this transmission will not work in a other car than the ferrari.
I am building a kitcar and would like to know if people have experience using this transmission and how they got it working
I am using pectel management system 6QM

Back