Ferrari-powered SL-C?

Motorsport Ranch isn't too far from me. I drive past it on the way to Ft. Worth. My soon-to-be-wife and step-daughter deal with me pretty well when we pass and I start naming all the cars hauling ass around the track. haha

I'll be back out at Motorsport Ranch Aug 2, 3, and 4 testing a new Koni Challenge ST Mazda RX-8. Gonna be doing three races in it this season (GP3R, Miller, and VIR) and perhaps a season next year. Stop by and say hi. :)

--Donnie

I knew there was a "six inch too long" joke in there somewhere! Mesa, how does that 360 engine/tranny measure-up? The little 55 AMG Kompressor might be a nice engine too. It's kind-of surprising that the 575 is as long as the Viper V-10!

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
For comparison, here's some data for the 5.0l BMW V12. These data were taken by Henry Lawrence, a well known BMW V12 engine builder in NC:

Physical Dimensions
bellhousing of block to front of front pulley = 29”
valve cover edge to valve cover edge - width = 19.5”
intake outer edge to intake outer edge = 24.5”
oil pan to top front of valve cover = 25”
oil pan to top of intake manifold = 26”
oil pan to top outer edge of valve cover = 19”
oil pan to top outer edge of intake man = 26”

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
How about a BMW V10 from the new M5 or M6? They're 500hp NA and sound INSANE!! I think that would be a pretty cool powertrain.

Donnie, I may have to do that. It's actually getting REALLY close to my wedding. I'm getting married on Aug. 8th. Still looking for a cool car to drive off in if anyone's interested in helping me out... :shy: But I may have to grab the fam and head that way! They haven't been to REAL racing yet I don't believe. I still need to take them to an NHRA event so they can feel that experience.

Ok, enough thread hijacking!!

Donnie, I may have to do that. It's actually getting REALLY close to my wedding. I'm getting married on Aug. 8th. Still looking for a cool car to drive off in if anyone's interested in helping me out... :shy: But I may have to grab the fam and head that way! They haven't been to REAL racing yet I don't believe.

Well, this isn't any racing...it's just lapping sessions. :(

--Donnie

Hey Doc,
I measured the 360 today - it's 22 inches from bellhousing surface to end of crank pulley, add in 9.5 for the gearbox and get 31.5. It will easily fit into an SLC. The heads are 25 inches at the widest point, no problem there either.

If you have an LS7 around maybe we can make some sort of trade :)

thanks
rob

Back