Fire Extinguisher Mounting

This gentleman lost his GTR due to putting a hole through his block; I believe something impacted a fuel line and either fuel, oil, or both fed the ensuing fire. This car had an onboard fire suppression system - I don't think anything would have saved this car other than the fire trucks that rolled up and eventually put it out. He states the fire continued for about 20 minutes - the car did well for having been on fire for 20 minutes!

Many folks put their fuel systems in one of the two outer triangular areas in an SLC. I constructed a shield which I also covered with fire resistant heat blockers to protect the fuel system from debris and possible engine fragments. You can see the shield in this photo, I have one on each side of the engine bay:

img_8021.jpg

This gentleman lost his GTR due to putting a hole through his block; I believe something impacted a fuel line and either fuel, oil, or both fed the ensuing fire. This car had an onboard fire suppression system - I don't think anything would have saved this car other than the fire trucks that rolled up and eventually put it out. He states the fire continued for about 20 minutes - the car did well for having been on fire for 20 minutes!

Many folks put their fuel systems in one of the two outer triangular areas in an SLC. I constructed a shield which I also covered with fire resistant heat blockers to protect the fuel system from debris and possible engine fragments. You can see the shield in this photo, I have one on each side of the engine bay:

Cam, nice job on the shield! Looks OEM for sure. Definitely a fantastic idea.

Neil

Supporter
That's a shame to see his car on fire. Lots of work to recover. What kind of firewall is used in a GTR/GTC, etc?
I said in my previous post:

"The SCTA requires two nozzles in the engine compartment, pointed at the headers/oil pan since that is the most likely point for a fire if you blow the engine. A fuel leak fire would likely be on top of the engine. I'd recommend putting in a 10 lb Halon bottle with a pull or push knob to activate. It's good insurance."

In addition, they require a fuel line to be encased within a steel tube in the region of the flywheel. Not usually a problem with a mid-engine car, though.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya, after seeing that one I think that a 10 pounder is a good idea, It's really only a inch bigger in diameter and about 2 in overall length than a 5 pounder. Couple of hundred more.

I love Summit's price match, purchased the below and saved $56 compared to their site prices. They not only matched it, but beat the prices on all 3.

Fire Extinguisher (H3R #HG250B)
Fire Extinguisher Mount (H3R #BMF01B)
Fire Extinguisher Mount (H3R #BB250B)

Shaun

Supporter
Doing both in mine, plumbed in Lifeline Zero 360 plus hand held, spoke to Lifeline they were very helpful, loads of tech info they have on their site. Am having mine electrical triggered, as its road only nothing outside just internal.

Johan

Supporter
I’ve done some research when it comes to extinguisher systems. While most recommend Dupont FE36 or Novec 1230 for the cockpit and closed areas, they say a water based system is best for engine compartment since it’s not enclosed.

I just ordered a water based system from Fogmaker with a indication loop and fire warning light but with manual activation.
An indication feature is a must in a mid engine car, you’ll most likely be the last one to know of an engine fire when driving.

Neil

Supporter
"...in a mid engine car, you’ll most likely be the last one to know of an engine fire when driving."

I know that for sure!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Johan tell more about your fire warning light. its sensor and the indicator in the cockpit (dashboard light?) I think that is a good idea.

Johan

Supporter
Johan tell more about your fire warning light. its sensor and the indicator in the cockpit (dashboard light?) I think that is a good idea.
Howard, I haven’t got my system yet to take a picture, but here is a link. The fire loop is a pressurized thin tube that melts at 170C and gives a signal to whatever you want, a light or automatic trigger of the system. I choose a light because I didn’t want any nuisance triggering, emptying the bottle. Manual activation via cable.

Safecraft makes the both automatic and manually activated clean agent fire suppression systems. They also make badass billet clean agent handheld extinguishers.

Back