FIRE EXTINGUISHER PLACEMENT...

Robert,
Could you advise as to where you are placing the fire extinguisher tank in the GT40. After reading the thread on the GTD accident I'm in a bit of a hurry to have it installed.

Hersh
smile.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Hershal,

We place the "bomb" style extinguisher in the engine compartment on the right hand sill top, opposite the position of the battery. The activation is best on the dash as in a VERY large accident your movements will be very limited and the closer the handle the better. I think there are some photographs on the web site but if not we will e-mail some if you need them.

For race days I also recommend an external pull and this is best fitted around the bottom of the front screen as this is where fire marshals EXPECT to find it.

As a final point, it has been my experience that once it is fitted it is never needed, a bit like the the jack or spare wheel or tools that you wish you had brought with you to the circuit.

Best wishes,

Robert

Howard Jones

Supporter
"If" you are short like me and have room behind the drivers seat on the floor this is the best place. I will survive any wreck you do. EVERYONE should put a onboard fire system in these cars. They are less than $400 bucks complete. How much did you spend on your car?

Robert Logan

Howard ,

Your idea of placing the bomb behind the seat is a good one except that we do not have room there in RF's.

The bomb is best placed in a visable place as they can be easily checked as to whether they are still charged or not. In racing here we have to have the bombs rechecked and recharged and then certified every three years.

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
I bought one of the SPA bombs and am right in the middle of fitting the handle. I think I'm going to put it in the center on a little switch panel I'm making that will be just in front of where the left hand falls while driving (right hand drive). The switch panel will have a key locked rev limiter (limit selectable via the Digital 6) and an octane switch that will retard timing in the off-chance I can't get good gas. The dash would be good for a mounting point too, but my actuator is mechanical and the handle isn't small.

FYI
In the MK-IV it was originally in the passenger seat! In my Lola I have found that along the forward edge of the passenger seat works well and looks good. Ron I might suggust button near your right hand. Most intutive for a right handed person when there's no time to think. At top of passenger footwell also works. I'd keep tank in cockpit. High temp found in engine bay degrades chemicals more quickly. Also as thats where a fire will probably break out f hoses could burn away before you have a chance to activate it.
Best
Jim

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm a lefty and the car is right hand drive, right hand shift - so, besides not being much room to put in on the right the left side is perfect for me
cool.gif

Mine is placed on the floor at the front of the passenger seat as well. Does not intrude on the passenger, is close, protected, and I have lines run to the engine compartment as well as one to me. Mine is a bottle about 16" long, and fits very nicely there on the floor.

Jack

Robert Logan

There are photographs at our web site in the gallery area. There is a good shot of a yellow car with a red bomb in place . Please consider !!!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

Back