Fire Suppression

Guys,

I've just purchased a 2.25 litre fire marshal mechanical system for my GT40. It is the slimline version as the place I want to put it will not cater for a full 4 litre bottle.
My question is this.. It comes with two firing nosils, one for the engine compartment and one for the driver. I've seen threads before asking about placement of the nosils and I'm comfortable with that but for a closed cockpit car, I really should have 2 nosils for the cockpit, one pointing at the driver and one for the passenger and ideally two for the engine. Do I get a tee peice or is the reason for only two nosils with a 2.25l bottle because there will not be enough foam to cover these areas adequately ? Any ideas.
I'm reluctant to make any compromises on anything safety related.

Martin

Sounds like a technical question for the manufacturer Martin.

The system I installed in my KVA had 6 nozzles and various tee pieces supplied in the box so I was confident that the bottle had enough capicity to deliver to all 6.
I had two in the cockpit and 4 in the engine bay - 1 each side pointing at the exhaust pipes and two pointing at the carbs in the vee between the heads.

Thanks Chris,

yes I called Lifeline tech support and their advise was that adding another two nozzils would probably compromise the system. I could add one more to make two in the engine bay (one for each side of the engine) and keep just one in the cockpit, coupled with a handheld. That would be fine. I have injection (or should I say, will have) so I wasn't so worried about spit back from the carbs, I'm more concentrated on the fuel lines and pumps, especially the high pressure ones.
Two is optimum for a 2.25l system though. The spray pattern is 90 degrees so each nozzle covers quite a fair area. I think the trick is the correct placement of the nozzles.
Thanks,
Martin

Back