SLC AC condensate drain problems

Mark B.

Supporter
I'm having a very strange problem with my AC (standard Vintage Air slimline unit that comes with the SLC kit). The AC works fine -- even puts up a valiant fight in TX weather. When I'm driving, however, the unit leaks water (condensate) into the passenger compartment. Quite a bit. When I'm stopped, it drains just fine through the drain line which I have routed to a hole in the floor of the monocoque on the right side of the passenger footwell. I've checked for leaks / blockages and the only thing I can think of is that the airflow under the car when moving is creating pressure preventing water from draining, but I'm really grasping at straws on this one. I literally have to put a bath towel down in the passenger footwell and it's soaked after an hour or two of driving since it's so freaking humid in Austin this time of year!

Does anyone else have problems with their AC condensate draining? How do you all have your drain hoses routed?

Joel K

Supporter
Mark. I’m designing that system now so can’t answer your question but I noticed the black tubing that comes with the VA system doesn’t fit very tight. Are you using any hose clamps? I was going to use some light duty nylon clamps which I use for my aquarium hoses.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Blocked condensate pipe? Perhaps a wasp or similar has started a nest in the pipe.

Did you insulate the in cabin parts… like the AC unit and AaC air ducts, is they are sufficiently cool in a humid zone they can drip condensate from the outside of the unit and hoses……likewise your refrigerant pipes need insulated.

Get some incontinence bed pads of a size suitable for the footwell. They are cheap and disposable once soaked. So easy to use until the problem is fixed.

Ian

Mark B.

Supporter
Mark. I’m designing that system now so can’t answer your question but I noticed the black tubing that comes with the VA system doesn’t fit very tight. Are you using any hose clamps? I was going to use some light duty nylon clamps which I use for my aquarium hoses.
Yea I had the same issue with the hoses being loose. I swapped out the hoses and am using worm-gear style hose clamps.

Mark B.

Supporter
Blocked condensate pipe? Perhaps a wasp or similar has started a nest in the pipe.

Did you insulate the in cabin parts… like the AC unit and AaC air ducts, is they are sufficiently cool in a humid zone they can drip condensate from the outside of the unit and hoses……likewise your refrigerant pipes need insulated.

Get some incontinence bed pads of a size suitable for the footwell. They are cheap and disposable once soaked. So easy to use until the problem is fixed.

Ian
Great point about insulating the interior hoses. It's definitely leaking from the back of the unit, but it could be condensate forming on the pipes outside the case -- I hadn't thought about that. Will check it out. Of course one of the things that makes this problem so much fun to track down is you have to do it on a hot day with the car running with your head down in the passenger footwell to figure out where it's coming from :)

Great idea on the pads in the mean-time.

Back