Ford GT40 lapping LeMans in 1969 (240 mph)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wow - Great video!!! I'd love to see it in high resolution...

I'm new to the GT40 world, been doing cobra stuff. I was just talking to guy in town that said the rear fender flares are incorrect on many replica 40's. I have no idea what he is talking about. Does anyone have a pic of correct flares? What manufacturer offers the correct flares?

I spoke with Fran @ RCR, he mentioned a rear fender flare option that was popular. Would this be the 'correct' flare?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
frknfast said:
Great find. Did you notice it looked like it was a LHD car vs the usual RHD.

Nope looked like a right hand drive right hand shift to me

Watch it again when he goes around muslane corner and it cuts to a picture of him driving

Ian

We have two sized flares...the Gulf flares as used on the wide hip cars like BillD and Sandy's car and a +2 inch flare that is also period correct...
The +2" flares can be used with new +2 inch wide track rear suspension option allows the use of standard 10 inch rear wheels so negates the need for custom 12inch rear wheels.....,

Some John Wyer (JW) cars ran a "lip" on the edge of the rear flares...this style I have not seen replicated.

Strangly enough one of the first cars to have Gulf flared rear clip was P1020 Ford Frances entry at the 1967 Le Mans trials. A picture is in Ronnie Spain's book in chapter 7 page 97 it has diffinately the later tail with the single tail lights and openings wheither it has the proper flared arches is not conclusive on the picture because of the picture angle. But it must be the tail that eventually the following year was used in the Gulf cars.
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Ask Bill D ...he has the big'uns under his tail...
I know Sandy went one size smaller and they still have a 16-17 inch footprint...

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
The 240mph sounded very fast for the Gt40. That sounds better in a 917...

My tires were taller and narrower (A little less then a steam roller) then BillD's, which is a bit better the gear box I used. They were 14.0/27.0-15 Rears, and 8.5/23.5-15 Fronts Avon's.

Sandy

Back