Ford GT40 on display in Boston

I'm afrais FOrd will keep production low (less than 100 per year) bcause the car is a loss leader and every one they send out the door will cost them not only a manufacturing and R&D recovery loss, but in warranty expenses also. I love the car, but Ford quality sucks, especially the modular engines.

On the bright side, I did read that Aston-Martin 6.0L V12 48v engines are being seriously considered for the production models. A V8 is "heritage", but I'd rather have a naturally aspirated 500 hp V12 any day.

Take your pick?

fdec2834.jpg

Chris. You don't seriously think they will have a real GT40 or quality replica on view when the "mug punters" come into the showroom!!!!!!! Regards

G

I kinda like the new one. But then, I kinda like Metallica too, and I wasn't even around yet when the original was winning all of those races, so my perspective is a whole lot different.
The original is the one to have, because of everything it represents, but I am excited about the new one as well.
Sure, the dimensions are larger, but to my (non-expert) eyes, it appears that they've stayed true to the original idea, and freshened it up a bit. The basic shape is there, the doors still wrap into the roofline, and the speedo is in the proper place. And I actually like the new headlights, the digital-looking letters on the side, and the view of the car from the rear. The wheels could be better, but even they don't bother me that much.
It's hard for me to articulate this well, but this is a 40-year old design that still looks innovative and modern today. Perhaps that is the explanation for all of the GT40 enthusiasts out there. The Vette might be an American icon, but this car is immortal.

Back