Front substructure measurements

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I am replicating the front substructure for my Southern GT #70. I have a side view drawing which shows the diagonals to be 9 /14" however some original drawings show these pieces to be 7.88" . Please see the attached picture with the measurement I need. Many thanks.

Attachments

• front substructure.pdf
    89.5 KB · Views: 307

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Would you not be measuring the depth of your radiator from the side brackets to the bottom to determine your own datum first ?
The radiator side brackets sit on top of the horizontal tube section.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, Will this from the amazing Tom help you.
Kind regards
Morten

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Buying a radiator from Serck which I assume should be on the money for dimension. So you are saying probably not take that for granted and await a radiator..... but I really wanted to weld something this weekend....

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
IMO yes, the incline and fixed height of the radiator is important (to me anyway), I would have the bottom nozzles horizontal and at the correct height to fit the rubber connection hoses to the alloy tubes to avoid stressing them, also off of the floor pan.
If you are going for the original copper/brass unit which weighs in at about twenty five pounds empty remember that it is flux soldered so it might also be a nice idea to fit thin anti-vibration pads under the side brackets.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Thanks Jimmy, very good points I toiled about the brass vs Alloy radiator. Any advise on Alloy vs Brass? I was going to order alloy as I am in Texas and we have heat here 9-10 months a year, It is less to ship, however the copper/brass is very repairable until the ban the solder that holds it together. Any thoughts?

It would still be nice to know a general dimension from a original or bespoke chassis.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Thanks Morten, I am basically doing the same thing but with a tube chassis. Looks like that build has some neat ideas and approaches. I will dive in more looking thru the build this weekend.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
David,
Alistair is using a Serck alloy GT40 radiator which is nicely made and I am using the copper one. I think both material versions are custom orders and in fact the photo on their sales site is of mine which I bought years ago.
I must admit it, now that I would go alloy which I assume is a lot cheaper than $1500 !
I won't be seeing my chassis for a couple of weeks so I can't help now, however I would think that Serck should be able to give you a sketch of the unit before you buy ?

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I will pop into the shed tomorrow and get the dimensions you need

Attachments

• DSC02496.JPG
    DSC02496.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC02497.JPG
    DSC02497.JPG
    489 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC02498.JPG
    DSC02498.JPG
    471 KB · Views: 186
I am replicating the front substructure for my Southern GT #70. I have a side view drawing which shows the diagonals to be 9 /14" however some original drawings show these pieces to be 7.88" . Please see the attached picture with the measurement I need. Many thanks.

Attachments

• TEMP002 (1).PDF
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
Back