Fuel Composition Sensor

Anybody know if the flow rate through an OE fuel composition sensor (flex fuel sensor) will support horsepower in the 400 to 500 range? Specifically, I'm thinking of the Ford unit found on the Tarus, Ranger, etc., because it has threaded connections. The GM unit has slip-on connections. I'm thinking some of these units have to be installed on cars or trucks that are in the 300 to 350 range from the factory, so maybe they can support higher horsepower. Maybe?

I'm looking at used sensors on eBay because there's no way I'm paying the new price. Even used, these are in the $125 to $150 range.

That being said, if the OE flowrate can't support high horsepower, does anybody know of a high-flow aftermarket unit that can be had new for under $200 (I can hear the laughter now)?

Thanks, guys.

Eric

Ron Earp

Admin
I would assume the sensor doesn't have to have flow to make the measurement, just be exposed to the fuel. Therefore, don't pull the engine fuel through it. Take it apart and mount the sensing element in a bung to screw into the tank. Or, mount the sensor in a loop that is at the bottom of the tank.

On the off chance the sensor needs fuel flow maybe you can take it apart and put it into a bigger housing. You could program a transfer function into your ECU to account for the difference in flow.

Interesting ideas that hadn't occurred to me. Guess I was thinking too linearly.

Building on one of Ron's ideas, maybe split the line downstream from the pump to create a shunt line for the sensor unit, which then dumps back into the tank? That would ensure the same fuel the sensor is measuring is going to the injectors. That would also make the flow rate through the sensor irrelevant. Actually, the more I think about that, it sounds like a perfect solution. Would also allow for any future increase in horsepower without having to redesign that part of the fuel system (except maybe install a larger pump, which would not affect the sensor shunt).

Thanks for the ideas. You've given me somethings to think about.

Eric

How about installing the unit in the fuel return line? The sensor could be installed after the fuel pressure regulator and should deal with a fairly limited flow and pressure. Just a thought. Good luck.

Back