fuel consuption 302 vs. 232

Hi all,
This is prety vague, but I would like to know what is the difference in fuel consuption per mile between a 302 V8 and a 232 V6, being both regular street engines with no upgrades.

Thanks

Javier

Please tell us that you are not considering putting a 6 cylinder in a GT40!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

G

A six would be better than the transverse four cylinder that went in the first GT40 replicas that were built. Before you guys have heart attacks, notice where Javier is from: Santiago, Chile. V8's aren't sitting around on every street corner down there and if you'd ever visited Santiago, you'd understand why they go for the smaller engines. Being stuck in a valley between the costal mountains and the Andes, the air pollution hangs in there mighty thick. Gas isn't cheap there either. And the government has some very strict controls on the importation of automotive stuff.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Not an engineer, but I would guess all other things being equal you might have 10-20% less fuel consumption with a V6 as opposed to a V8, if you didn't drive the V6 very hard trying to equal the performance you would have had with the V8.
One thing you might want to keep in mind is that GT40s don't accumulate a lot of miles, even in the hands of the most enthusiastic owners. Most of the time you need to drive somewhere, the GT40 isn't practical, so you will end up driving something else with more space (and less fun). Total fuel comsumption over, say, a year may not be enough to worry about the difference between a six or an eight.
Now, there may be engine size taxes or something of that sort in Chile that we aren't aware of up here and that could favor a smaller engine. A GT40 is light enough that a robust V6 should still give enough performance that you can scare yourself.

At least I am trying to use a ford engine!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

You wealthy people!!! How many ford mustangs are in USA? Well, there are less than 50 mustangs in Santiago...

I accept donations.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Cheers,

Javier

Don't apologize Javier. Your interests are in the right place. A V6 may be sad to some, however I have often thought that the balance of the car would improve and with the right SVO options you can have a very potent V6.

Ron Earp

Admin
No kidding. I personally like turbocharged four bangers and inline sixes, and think an all aluminum engine of one of these types would wail.

R

Back