Fuel Tank Fittings?

Hey Guys
I'm about to get stuck into fitting some fuel pick ups and return lines
and senders in my DRB fuel tanks. Since these tanks are basically rectangle
alloy box's, What sort of fittings should I use as a fuel pickup and what should I use as a return fitting? Should I get something welded in or screw in?

Any help greatly appreciated.

The RF setup has aluminum bungs welded into the tanks that have female threads that accept male brass BSPT-threaded barb fittings (mostly of the 90 degree variety). Although RF used mostly 5/16" fittings, I found that size to be the red-headed stepchild of fuel line and fittings. If I were starting from where you are I would weld in male AN fittings and use hoses or hard lines with 90 degree hose ends. I would also recommend 3/8" (dash 6) as a minimum for pickup fittings. You'll spend a little more money on AN fittings, but it's so much easier to get them on and off the tanks than it would be with barb fittings.

Dave

I hear you. This was one of the few complaints I had with my DRB.
It came with the tanks and fillers and vent lines installed...but no provisions for pickup or fuel sender (I did not order the senders from DRB).

My choices were yank the tanks out and send them off for bungs to be welded on, or cut holes in the tops, fabricate an access plate with bung, and install a rubber gasket under the access plate. I decided on the latter since I really hated to pull the tanks.

MikeD

Maybe I should be making something like this? Seems like alot fittings
to make a pick up. But how else do you get to the bottom of your tank?

:shrug: Anyone got any ideas? I like to keep it simple.

Attachments

• gt40+117.jpeg
    gt40+117.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 440

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Drill the hole in the bottom corner of the tank instead of the top and put an upwards u in the flex hose taking the top of the u higher than the tank to stop syphoning as far as possible if a hose springs a leak

You get the same effect as above

Or on the back flat of the tank drill a hole a little larger than your solid fuel pipe. Take a piece of pipe and put a 90degree bend in it and measure the length required from your hole to the bottom of thetank. Cut pipe to length and weld in place.

Ian

Ended up sending picture of pick-up (above) to my local speed shop
and he can supply all needed for $40. Problem solved I suppose.

Back