Giving GT40s a bad name?

Malcolm,
As you mentioned it was crowed, why did they send the saftycar on track and pull the car behind them and let the other cars passed?
The marchells should radioed that.
That the way we deal with those drivers.

Let me tell, a Saab driver at a trackday stoppes in the middle of the track at a dicent of the Hunzerug his car to wave at his wife who was sitting in the dunes.
And had beginning this on a dutch forum that same threat about 2 7-drivers of 2 different clubs, so it nothing new.

Regards,

Lucas

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
as a complete novice - I have only been on a track twice - once at LM. So I do not understand all of the implications here, safety aside, but having heard on many occasions about "idiots on track days", this thread has almost certainly put me off trying my car on any track day.
I have mentioned in the past, that as a newbie, it is possible, I could be a liability, as it is unlikely I would know the correct "etiquette" and if, with an instructor, yes - of course I would be listening to what he/she has to say. That is how you learn - isnt it?

Surely driving rules are similar to being on the road in as mutch as it is YOUR responsibility to expect the un-expected, particularly if there are drivers under tuition.

Maybe a large "L" in the rear window might help? If I remember correctly there one or two people at Le Mans driving in a reckless and dangerous manner - with a much greater range of vehicles and driver ability on the track, than at any track day.

Finally - if I ever do go on a track - give me a wide berth:D

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I hope you don't mean that, Richard.

As long as you stay on the racing line and are moving at a reasonable speed other drivers will go around you - as that is what they expect you to do. It's the sudden and unexpected deviations from the "line" to let others pass that causes problems.

If other drivers can't get by you on the straights without you having to pull over and wave them all by then they need to re-examine how fast they really are.

I recommend that before you start racing you enter as many "track days" as you can...these are low pressure events designed for one to become familiar with their cars at speed as well as........oh, never mind.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Wasnt that the whole point of this thread - personalities aside - that a car kept on the racing line, but was moving at a "slower" pace and didnt move "out of the way"?

Or have I missed something?

:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

I think I have something factual and experienced first-hand to add to this thread. Please see the video in the link below. It is from a Spa track day in 2005. I arrive upon the driver in question at Rivage at the top of the circuit. He is going relatively slowly and is off line (easily done at Rivage) but spots me immediately after the corner, indicates correctly to the right, moves over and lets me through on the short run to the next corner. I was actually expecting to wait until the longer run down to Pouhon before getting an opportunity.

This is not the action of an inconsiderate driver. I can only speculate that at Donington he was distracted by the tuition.

BTW I dubbed out the sound around Rivage as we mentioned his name :eek:

http://www.GT40.me.uk/events/sparivage.mpg (6Mb)
or low res.
http://www.GT40.me.uk/events/sparivage1.wmv (1Mb)

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Track days are for beginners. Not watching the mirrors is a beginner mistake All you had to do was pull in to the pits for 3/4 lap rest.

In a thread with nearly 50 posts and posters being accused of all sorts of agendas, the above most sensible comment of Johans may have got overlooked.....

Given that there may be a problem with a slow car, since it's not a race, dropping back or pulling in is the easiest solution to the problem. No point in putting the brain out of gear and getting hot under the collar following this guy. You're not going to be able to change what he's doing right then, but you can certainly change what you are doing.

That would solve the problem and a gentle (friendly) word to the guy in the pits afterwards would make him aware of your concerns.

The guys that are complaining need to examine their own actions....

Work around it, get over it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Russ,

I believe a one on one with a person with a driving issue has merit.

But I think in a controlled environment at a track day senario, the chief steward or racing director needs to know of the situation, so he/she can gather facts about what happened. With this information, the track official can address the situation with the driver in question, and help the driver with positive input (not saying yours would not be). In addition, this one on one with the track official can assess if the driver needs to be put in a slower class, or directed to do what the track official deems appropriate for the situation.

Usually when a track official is made aware of a driver with an issue, the track official will communicate the issue with other track workers (turn workers), and they will observe the driver in question on future on-track sessions to see if there is an improvement or lack thereof.

Allowing a track official to intervene on a situation like this makes it a win-win situation for evryone.

Just my 2 cents worth............or maybe less.

Back