Goodwood on a Sunny day... HaHa!

Glenn M

Supporter
Lured by thoughts of “Goodwood on a sunny day” and the fact that obviously it would be a lovely day for the coronation….. we entered the BHMC sprint - to be met with lashing rain all day!

I actually like driving in the wet, but this was something else. The line was dictated by driving around the swimming pools on the track! Definitely a day when FWD and narrow tyres would have been the way to go.

Sadly, after three big attempts to destroy the tyre walls by other entrants the day was abandoned.

Ah well, at least there was plenty of time for chatting today!

Bri 230515 135.JPGBri 230515 216.JPG

Pictured is Tammy exiting the chicane and the car drying out!

Glenn, after spending a week getting ready for this event, we got out of bed at 5 am, did another check on the weather radars etc and decided a lightweight single seater ( 320 Kg and 200 Hp ) and slicks was not conducive with boating, so went back to bed ! Seems the right decision was made, even though very disappointed to miss our first event of the season.

Attachments

• GoodwoodSprintAug2013FrankCatt(14).jpg
    GoodwoodSprintAug2013FrankCatt(14).jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 119

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I have never understood the logic used to come to the conclusion that racing in the rain was a great idea...'no problem-o'.
It flies in the face of both logic and common sense - not to mention the laws of physics.
'Guess this old man must have a spine made of Jell-o... :rolleyes:

JMPO OMV

I have never understood the logic used to come to the conclusion that racing in the rain was a great idea...'no problem-o'.
It flies in the face of both logic and common sense - not to mention the laws of physics.
'Guess this old man must have a spine made of Jell-o... :rolleyes:

JMPO OMV
Read this about Jacky Ickx in à GT40 in the rain in Spa(old long circuit) who puts every body in the rain 40 sec behind in the first lap.
I think he knows ho to drive.... fast!
envoi
Paul

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Rain is the great equalizer when it comes to circuit racing…
Although I became very proficient at it - I never really enjoyed it. I managed a couple of championships that were secured due to points accumulated during rain races.
My Cobra was evil in the dry - in the wet it was a heinous monster just waiting for an excuse to kill me…. Managing that fear along with racing strategy was never a second nature thing for me. It was like playing “chicken” with my fellow competitors..

Lured by thoughts of “Goodwood on a sunny day” and the fact that obviously it would be a lovely day for the coronation….. we entered the BHMC sprint - to be met with lashing rain all day!

I actually like driving in the wet, but this was something else. The line was dictated by driving around the swimming pools on the track! Definitely a day when FWD and narrow tyres would have been the way to go.

Sadly, after three big attempts to destroy the tyre walls by other entrants the day was abandoned.

Ah well, at least there was plenty of time for chatting today!

View attachment 129737View attachment 129738

Pictured is Tammy exiting the chicane and the car drying out!

If it is a consolation, everytime I go to Salzburgring I can be sure of rain showers (sometimes snow in May) ... given the choice I rather drive my E-Type than the GT40 - let alone a formula car ;-)

Attachments

• JAG21.jpg
    JAG21.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
If it is a consolation, everytime I go to Salzburgring I can be sure of rain showers (sometimes snow in May) ... given the choice I rather drive my E-Type than the GT40 - let alone a formula car ;-)
You could always try.... nordschleife
you could always try....nordschleife .... https://www.gt40s.com/threads/winter-snow-formula-car-nuburgring.51337/
Paul

Back