GT-R

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Kyle, you should have posted those images. There are some angles on the new GT that are phenomenal. I really like what they did with the rear section of the car. That is some revolutionary stuff. I'm still digesting the side profile and the nose. I see elements of the Corvette and a couple other things I would have done differently. Still a stunning car anyway you measure it. The choice of power plant while technically sound may not produce the same appeal as had they went with the new flat plane V8. Will be interesting to hear the MSRP and see once the hype wears off just how many step up to the plate for what could be a very expensive machine. Will also be interesting if there truly will be a mid engine Vette to share space with. Bravo Ford

PS still doesn't stack up to the real deal ;)

g5o6mjkr5n1pbsnfduax.png

Regarding the eco boost choice I saw this posted from an auto journalist on another forum
"The EcoBoost is a 3.5L with twin turbos. The displacement and turbos are for several reasons, the main one being the GTE rules going to Le Mans. If the engine is under 4.0 liters it can be turbocharged. Secondly, Ford is working towards EcoBoost-everything. They'll want, no they need, their new halo car to be badged/branded with EcoBoost power. Imagine the ads: "Our Le Mans winning power in your 2016 Fiesta, Focus, Mustang, Fusion, Taurus, and F-150!"...

Ray, not sure I can agree, maybe it's an age thing :).

Looks like a Lamborghini, Enzo and a McLaren combo.
I see something of the Lancia Stratos in the (glass) profile too. Nothing looks original to me, which isn't necessarily bad, although I don't find it that consistent.

Last edited:
I really like the new GT except for directly from the side it looks a bit weird and I'm not sure about those big holes going from the rear of the doors to the rear deck.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I agree, the side profile is not that appealing. It is going to look great in full race trim. All these new cars look like the designers are just trying too hard. Too many angles and gimmicks. Simplicity in design is what made the original MkI look so great. The same can be said for the 250 GTOs, DB4's, and Gullwings. Very simple and tasteful in design. Today its all about wings and angles and trying to take whatever the last most extreme design was one step further.

I really like the new GT except for directly from the side it looks a bit weird and I'm not sure about those big holes going from the rear of the doors to the rear deck.

I'm with Tom. While it is a neat "design study", it distracts my eye from the rest of the styling... it just plain looks odd/off to me.

I don't know Mark, without the enthusiasm for the GT40 or GT for that matter, then there wouldn't be for the GT-R. It's our own version of "halo" effect. Plus it gives us GT-R builders ideas and inspirations on our future builds to see what Ford is doing. I had tossed around the odd idea of eco boost in my head and Ford just released a stand alone harness ecu for like minded people. But short of air cooled Porsches, hard to beat a V8 (short of V12) for sound.

I hated the 80/90s for the lack of horsepower and excitement. BUT I miss the day when you knew that a "properly" built hot rod could beat anything new. Those days are gone. We have to work pretty hard to stay in front of the sharp end of production cars. I still kind of resent the fact that my modd'd GT2 runs 10.2 in quarter and can still stop and turn as well as it does. Takes a lot of WORK to make a "hot rod" of any nature beat it on all facets.

But again its these bench marks that push products and sales products like the GT-R and SL-C. Other wise we'd all just build Nova's.

I think we should make a road trip to Detroit. There are quite a few of us that live between me (St. Louis area) and Detroit. We can swing through Indy and head north. How many of you would be interested? I will warn you I don't stop until we need fuel! Beware those that are bladder challenged!

I was just there this week. The GT-R is awesome!! After seeing Fran's body on Wed and being up close to a genuine 2005 GT at the Auto Show the next day, the gaps and body lines are better on the GT-R (IMO). It'll be worth the wait.

I will admit, except for the rear end details the Ford GT is phenomenal from about every other angle once I saw it in person. Stunning even...except for the rear.

One detail I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that it appears to have a TINY cabin.

There is a price to pay for the side wing/vent design decision and it's paid for by a very narrow cabin. I took pics but they came out dark. Unfortunately they were not letting anyone on the platform.

The 05 to 06 GT cabin appears to be dramatically larger.

If not for kids........I'd be packing. LOL That is my kind of road tripping (well at least for another decade or so)!

The Rolex is next weekend and I'm busy the next but the first weekend in Feb. would work for me. My GTR's should be in the shop and just about ready to delivered by then. At least there would be plenty to see.

I think we should make a road trip to Detroit. There are quite a few of us that live between me (St. Louis area) and Detroit. We can swing through Indy and head north. How many of you would be interested? I will warn you I don't stop until we need fuel! Beware those that are bladder challenged!

Swing thru Champaign, I am in!:thumbsup:

I will admit, except for the rear end details the Ford GT is phenomenal from about every other angle once I saw it in person. Stunning even...except for the rear.

I like the butt view, it's this direct side angle that's odd. It almost looks like there are 2 cars joined together at the back of the doors. Also, it seems like too many line/angles in between the wheels.

I'm sure though in person it is a stunner either way. I can't wait to see them on track.

Back