GT40 at Barrett Jackson

Hi All
I think the values are fair especially with the CAV factory being sold and production at an end.
Regards
Chris.

I was dissapointed the GTs didnt go for more money. With 3000 bidders and 800 cars going across the block in 3 days alot of people were going home empty handed. I am a GM guy at heart over the past 20 years and have had many vettes, and other GM muscle cars and the prices the bidders paid for the cars at Barret Jackson are just totally foolish. You could take those cars and advertise them for a year in autoweek or hemmings and you wouldnt get 60 or 70 percent of your money back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif regards, Dan

B-J had one major weakness. The TV commentators were ignorant or biased against "replicas". They incorrectly advised costs of the GT40's. They advised a rolling chassis was $35,000. They referred to them as "not real cars". How biased can they be when discussing some of the other custom odd monstrosities as part of the real car clan.

Talking of Cobras, I wonder how many bidders thought they were buying an original real Shelby Cobra, when they were all "replicas".

John

Thats right John,,, although the speed anouncers didnt affect the bidding unless you were watching it on the tube and phone bidding . The thing that gets me is most of the streetrods are basicly kits too , but people like to ignore that .

Yea, I too was very disappointed at the commentators lack of knowledge about the GT40 replicas... only saw Wayne's car go across...as I was out of town until yesterday afternoon, but thought the negative themed comments were un-professional and unwarranted...

Wayne's Car at 75K was a reasonable deal for the buyer... but does that mean that Wayne only nets 75K less 8%? That makes it not such a great deal for the seller...

Either way, Wayne's car was/is beautiful and I'd love to have it in my garage...

btw, did they sell another one of those Elenor Shelbys this year? What a "set up" scam deal that was last year..

mardyn

Ron Earp

Admin
It is too bad that people view replicas that way. In many ways street rods are worse with little or no thought into how things might work together for handling from a chassis perspective. Nobody expects a street rod to knock down low lap times or burn up the quarter. They just have to look good, or whatever defines good at the time of build.

And there is still the stigma of "kit cars", with the public at large and on the various Cobra and GT40 boards. For me, if someone tells me they built their car and it looks good then I applaud them, not say "Oh, then it wasn't a factory build?". Heck, my Lotus is a factory built car (low volume speciality of whatever you want to call it) and I've seen plently of hand built cars that have a better fit and finish and overall assembly.

Factories are there to make profits, not work for peanuts. If I want to spend 400 hours getting my glass fit and bodywork right then it is fine as I'm not paid. A factory can't do this, they have to make a profit so at some point it meets quality specs and is ready for delivery. That being said factories turn out some nice looking low volume cars such as the Superformance vechicles and CAVs.

But, I don't agree with the announcers slant that the factory cars are better than the self-assembled cars - I've seen enough Cobras to know that builders can produce awesome cars. Wonder how they'd treat a self-assembled Ultima, a car that isn't even a replica of anything????

What I can't figure is the resto mods going for such dern high prices!!!!! Looking forward to today's bout at BJ, a fine show for a sick man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron /Robert
I fully agree most GT40s built from kits are top notch by superbly skilled proffesionals ,some however are not and
those are the ones that can tarnish our indiustry.and have a bearing on resale value.
The BJ Speed commentators were so anti replica it was actauly infuriating.

Bob Lacey

Ron Earp

Admin
No BJ today on speed, it doesn't run on Sunday?

Thinking about fit and finish of various cars I see lots of rods that have unbelievable attention to detail. And then just as many that are shoddy. I remember seeing early Vipers and thinking "Man, I've seen kit cars that looked better" back before I was thinking about building my own car and before knew much about the replica car or self assembled car industry.

And, not that long ago at a Ford dealership I was looking at a brand new Mustang Cobra with horrible body gap fit and I swear, I know some won't think it true, but some faint orange peel over the rear flanks. Maybe it got hit before delivery or coming off the truck and had to be re-sprayed. Maybe not. At any rate it looked poor and I don't know any home builders that would accept it.

No telling what you might find out there.

You have to be careful on those Elenor cars...the one that was purchased last year was bought by a partner in the company..2 weeks later it was back up with a for sale sign.

If you think about it 8% really wasn't that much for some really good advertising and they get to put up adds with stuff like "Look buy this $125,000 car and you can immediately make money off it.

Matt

Supposedly, the Eleanor cars were purchased by the builders or representatives to hype the prices last year... any way, that's the rumor I heard... I was just wondering if that was the case again this time.. (Again... it's a rumor that I heard, I'm not sure if it's true... could just be internet gossip)

I didn't have a problem with the resto-mod car deal, in fact, that's what mine is (better than original IMO), but the inflated prices are just unbelievable... Again, maybe it's a sales ploy to improve the potential image/viability of such a car... but I still think it's a kinda' underhanded business practice.

Over at the facility where those cars are built near Dallas, the folks are very nice and accomodating, have a great shop, and do some interesting stuff with the cars.

but worth...$253K... not in my book, not ever...
mardyn

[ QUOTE ]
Bob,

As a retort and also as a ponderance the ONLY time Waynes and one of my cars have ever shared the same arena (Knotts last year) our DRIVEN car WON and a show pony came second.

Best wishes,

Robert

[/ QUOTE ]

Robert, my car a show pony??? Sorry to inform you but my car has plenty of running on it including autocrosses, 2 Spring Flings, open track days and you are forgetting to mention about the Knott's that I was not around for Sunday to even be eligeble for the trophy (which I did win the year before).

The auction itself was quite a learning experience as I wrote up on FFCobra.com. I would go back in a heartbeat but I would take only a car built for the BJ auction and it's bidders. What they want and I want are two different animals and did not realize that going in. Here's what was posted over there.
"Well I'm back from a week at BJ and I'm beat. Big thanks to Jeff Miller for getting my car 's tail fixed for the auction and delivering it to Scottsdale. The week started on Tuesday as BJ wants the car in place before bidder's viewing day on Wednesday. So be prepared to be on your feet by your car for 8-10 hours a day before your car sells. And answer the same question about 300 times, "yes it is a replica". If your doors don't lock, people will try to sit in the car. I was lucky enough to meet up with Dave Zubik from www.racingadventures.com , I helped him set up his booth and found out that between him and his next door neighbor had put through over 100 cars in the past 15 years. Jerry and Dave showed me the ropes about the "game" of BJ auction. First thing is to have a desireable car, and to bring really good money it has to be perfect in every detail. But that isn't enough to grab the brass ring. Not close. You then need to send in a great, not good but great picture of your car when you register to get either a Friday 4-7 pm or Saturday 3:30-8pm auction slot. Next you have to convince the powers that be your car should be in the showcase tent. And then you get to baby sit the car until the slot arrives. Just before you come to the on deck spot, you need to vist with the auctioneer and his stewards in the crowd to "motivate" them to get to your $ number you want ( a rising scale incentive package as it were). Then your car come on deck and in front of the bidders. You then stand by the auctioneer and the announcer to be able to tell him to press the bidders to keep the price moving. The 60 seconds that the car is on the block in the longest minute I've ever been through. The gavel drops and to car is gone. Then you drink, eat some food and drink some more. 46 hours at Barrett-Jackson and I finally got to relax and watch some cars go over the block for some insane amount of money. $200K for a Hemi Cuda??? $180K for a Hemi Charger??? $204K for a 55 chebbie??? $200K for a GT500 driver that was not that nice???I built the wrong car for that crowd. I got more money for the car than it would have brought on EBAY but I really wanted some the stupid money being thrown around. But I really learned a bunch abouot maiking money in the cars. I did get to talk to the seller of the $400K Zepher and he did really well in the profit category (made over $200K). One guy bought all 4 Calloway Vettes ($600K+) and another guy bought most of the Hemis ($750K+). Can you say disposeable income???
"

Back