again

Attachments

• 53486-HPIM0100-e.jpg
    53486-HPIM0100-e.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 261

Howard Jones

Supporter
Re: GT40 & Ford GT

The Nor-Cal 40 breakfast club, L to R Faili F, Strike2, 40Bud, and mine.

Attachments

• 53489-HPIM0102crop1.jpg
    53489-HPIM0102crop1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 267

Howard Jones

Supporter

Last one, its hard to tell scale here but the cars are about 1 foot apart and on level ground.

Attachments

• 53490-HPIM0099e.jpg
    53490-HPIM0099e.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 286
Wow... The Mark 1 looks almost tiny by comparison. It is amazing seeing both new & old so close together. Thanks guys! Do appreciate it!

Ron Earp

Admin

Nice pictures and comparison - that Ford GT is huge, in size and in weight compared with the 40. Reading the articles on the GT you'd get the impression it was only "slightly larger" but when you see it in person and in that front persepctive like you have in the first picture you can really see the difference!

R

Ron

Howard Jones

Supporter
You know, I am always amazed when people who see one of these up close ALWAYS will say " WOW thats small" Yes MK 1's are very small. When I am next to a corvette at a stoplight the top of the door/ bottom of the side window sill is over my head and the passenger is looking down at me!

Inside the GT's are as big as a corvette. I sat in a new corvette last night and the GT this morning. Plenty of room for most people I would guess. Just about everything is about 10% bigger. Height, width, lenght, tire height, engine size, everything! My guess is a modern GT40 replica like the RF's for example with about 400hp would be about the same performance wize. About 6 to 1 power to weight ratios for both. Oh and about 40%-50% of the cost!

But in real terms they really don't compair. Just too different.

The new GT's are really what you get if you build a GT 40 to current road legal standards and performance. They are really nice cars, too bad they can't be had for the MSRP price. I guess I'll just have to get by with ol' Betty.

I will play the loto from now on though!!

Thanks for bringing your GT by John, Now the real trick is going to be bringing them both on the same morning!

Guys,

Thank you for the comparative pics ... very, very interesting.

Amazing differences. Also amazing that the GT performs as well as it does given its size.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for bringing your GT by John, Now the real trick is going to be bringing them both on the same morning!

[/ QUOTE ]

With the size of that GT, he could go to U haul and get a dolley and use the GT as a tow vechile, and tow the Mk 1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Now THAT would turn some heads. By the way John, those are some fantastic looking cars you have. Congratulations on both of them !!!!
Regards Brian

Re Howard's photos;

The specs of the GT40 show that the Ford GT is nearly 10% larger. Comparisons side by side were interesting.

The first 4 photos as it happened placed the Ford GT on the higher side of the road, refer to the water flow path below Howard's car, so it takes some guess work.

John

Very nice pics and cars of course. Thanks for the side by side comparison. As I said in earlier posts "GT44"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RUSH TO PRESS !!!!!

I advised earlier on the thread I would get comparison photos for you, which would be of a CAV GT40, which I would have carefully staged on level pad. Casual photos do not give you a good comparison. The ground should have been level not the smaller Mk I on the lower side and should have been placed fronts level. Anyway it gives some idea.

The GT is hardly "huge", just perception from the photos.
I placed the GT so all the members could look it over and sit in it. The large/tall guys agreed when they got in that they could not drive it. Howards seat is fixed forward as he is short, and GT40's are more difficult to get in with the side tanks. I had the GT seats full back.
Inside, while there is no space for luggage, it is a little larger than my Mk II CAV GT40. I have a plate cam fitted in the rear registration plate frame so when engaging reverse it displays a wide angle view to the rear. I recommend it for all GT 40's. The Ford GT is outstanding because Ford took the original and made it 2005 road legal yet keeping remarkably close, and with adrenalin building performance.

John

Howard Jones

Supporter

John is correct. The drive here does have a litle drainage. Also my lens is about 30mm and will make things nearer look larger. I would love to see more pics from you John with both of you cars together. They are really a wonderful pair.

Also I am 5'2" so the inside of his car is a lot bigger for me. The GT isn't a huge car by any means, but it does compair well to a GT40 in all respects, just larger. It really could not have been done smaller. Not really.

Ford could never have sold a reproduction of the GT40. The cars are just too small and there is no room for any of the modern equipment such as rollup windows, nice sound system, door intrusion guards, and all that other safety/smog stuff.

This was a very good job on Fords part. For most people the GT would be a much better car to own. The suprise was that they did it at all.
GT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Viper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Corvette /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Thanks again, John

John, you are a true gentlman! Sitting in your GT was a great chance to compare room and traveling comfort potential. My GTD has almost the same head room, because I have lowered the floor. However that reduces my ground clearance for driveways etc. Your car has so much more room in everyother respect, it is hard to believe it is only about 10% bigger. Ease of entry/exit is outstanding and the pedal room is great. Try one on guys - you will like it!

Guys it is good to be in the same interest with you and looking forward to the trip to Reno.

When I get the CAV GT40 back my wife is a professional photographer and I will give her the job of getting us good representative photos for everyone. Drives me crazy sometimes with all the slow setup for photos.

John

Beautiful shots and comparisons. If you're ever in the dc area, I would love to do one of these for you (see attached collage.

ken visser
[email protected]

Attachments

• 53590-gt40layoutnobleed.jpg
    53590-gt40layoutnobleed.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 257
Back