GT40 /Ford GT

I have a CAV GT40, which is a close replica of the original GT40 race cars. I would not sell it for anything. Enough said.

I made up my mind that I had to have a Ford GT and hunted it down across the Midwest/East Coast checking dealers who may have got a lottery allocation. Found it and paid $75 over.

I was sent a list of options from Ford from which to choose, and the VIN number. One could choose from two types of wheels, any of the stripes to be omitted or not, two choices of stereo, choice of color. No ashtrays or coffee cup holders etc.

I took delivery and Ford replaced all four control arms with glittering new ones machined from billet. Aligned it and did a general check. Ford treated it as good as any super car. No problems or oil leaks that I hear about. (Still none).

It is a superb car and a blast to drive. Difficult at present due to almost continuous rains and I will not take it in the rain. I think Ford did a great job in designing it very close to the GT40 race car, except it is about 10% larger obviously to accommodate all the "road legal" requirements of airbags, smog etc, opening windows and to make it easier to get in. Still too tight for those larger or much over 6-ft guys. Luggage space is limited to space in foot well of passenger or behind each seat if you are short. There is no space under front hood. There is a built in compressor and lead to pump tires and a special tow hook if required. Engine compartment is crammed full, especially with the 19" rear wheels. It is real easy to drive, gears are like silk, engine is super responsive and it can just "drift" along in town, or blast ahead. It is fairly quiet inside, some say the engine outside should be louder.

Picture taken with Cobra Club at arrival

John

Attachments

• 54512-FordGT2.jpg
    54512-FordGT2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 357

Charlie M

Supporter
I was at a national design engineering show in Chicago week before last and one of the exhibitors had one on display at their booth (same colors too). I had to pry myself away from it to check out the rest of the show.

I might be able to afford one but I would surely lose it in the divorce that would soon follow the purchase.

(A GT40 AND a new GT? DAMN! Life is good eh?)

Enjoy the ride.

Charlie

I pickup my GT Tuesday, paid 33K over list. They are on Epay for 215 to 220. I also have a CAV GT under construction, Black w/ silver stripes.

RWJ;

Hi. Congratulations on the Ford GT. I guess you will not sleep much tonight. Good choice on both cars. Enjoy them.

John Place

Back