GT40 frame plans

Hi everyone i am new to this forum. I am really interested in building the GT40 from ground up but i need some drawings/plans with dimensions of the GT40 chassis. If anyone could help me i would be grateful.
Thomas

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s Thomas.. What David says is true. This question has been asked and answered scores of times over the years. To save you some digging - the original plans are not in the public domain and are not available. That said - many people have created their own chassis by carefully gathering measurements from various sources or just starting with the wheelbase and track width of the originals and adapting OEM type of suspension components to fit.
It's going to be quite a journey I can assure you.

Good luck with your project!

I did do alot of searching on this forum but could not actually find any drawings. Could you please send me some links or private message me some drawings i would be really grateful. And Thank you Randy V and David for your help appreciate it.
Thomas

Thomas, I think about every one has either paid for plans (so won't just give them away), has spent many hours creating them from scratch or bought a chassis so doesn't have them. AFAIK there are no sheet metal plans apart from the few sets of originals (a mkV set would be nice and easiest to build). The gt40 even when done on the cheapest budget is not cheap! The 60-200 or so people charge for plans pales into insignificance next to the rest of the build.

If you are serious go buy the plans.

I forgot to add, there is one 'free' set of plans out there (linked to from this very forum) but it has no suspension details, not even mount points and I don't know if anyone has verified a set of bodywork will fit, let alone built from them.

I seen some set of plans for sale on ebay but not sure if it has specific details for making most of the chassis. And thank you David for your quick reply and your help. Any ideas where i can buy these plans from?
Thomas

Mild steel is most common but some use stainless steel. Although the SS is better on rust etc it is harder to work and costs a lot more. SS is best with tig welding. Sizes on my plans call for mostly square tube 40x40x1.5, 25x25x 1.5, 20x20x1.5 some flat bar and flat plate. Mild steel does well with mig welding. With welds dressed and clean can then be painted or power coated for that oh so nice look. true

Last edited:

Rune

Supporter
If You are going to build a monocoque from scratch without good drawings I will asume that You need many years just to get started. better find a tube frame replica to start with ,then You hopefully will see the end of the project sooner. I have been doing this for 6 years now with the correct drawings avaliable and know what huge work that are up front for You. Take a look here to get a idea
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/23986-assembling-monocoque.html

Rune

I seen some set of plans for sale on ebay but not sure if it has specific details for making most of the chassis.

I'm 90% sure the plans for sale on ebay at the moment are the ones that are freely available and can be found just by a search of the forum...

I'm not going to link to the site concerned (if you want just do a google search for GT40 plans and its a tripod site) but I found a site that has the same pictures used in the ebay ad, going by the example of the GT40 plans they are the 'free' ones. I'd surmise you could probably find the Lambo plans if you looked as well.

They are poor and lacking lots of needed detail, they have for example no suspension details.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Compared to the cost of the rest of it the chassis is not a big part of the cost of a GT40. Also if you cost in your time at even a very cheap rate your chassis will be very expensive. You then have the problem of fitting the body which is a tough task even on a complete kit. Also sorting the suspension pickups. uprights, handling etc. etc. etc. etc. will take forever. A professionally done chassis design can take 2 years of work to get right. A good chassis can be had for £4,000. I did a spread sheet on the cost of parts for a reasonable but not top rate GT40 replica a few years ago and it came out at £40,000 for new bits and that excludes build costs, tools and paint. I have seen complete finished builds done from £12,000 to £90,000 so I guess the choice is up to you, your wallet, capability and stickability with a careful eye on what you recoup when you sell it.
Just my 2c.
Cheers
Mike

Yep I'd agree there.

There are plenty of reasons for doing your own, if its just because you want to make your own then do it!

If its to save money then think hard and long about how much you will really save. Unless you have all the kit already I can't see much saving. By the time you've got a decent welder, grinders, tube cutter(s), made the jigs and bought the steel you could easily see yourself north of 1k without even trying. Then factor in design time, training and practice if you haven't welded before plus actual build time and you've spent all your spare time for 2 years. How much could you earn in that time to buy a chassis?

Personally after lots of considering a scratch build including lots of cheating by using suspension components from existing cars and all sorts of cheats I figured that I would be better off working some extra hours or one day/weekend O/T, I could earn the money to pay for the chassis in less time than the chassis lead time and still spend plenty of time with the family etc. I could not manage to make a chassis in the same time, maybe if I'd made umpteen already but without experience no chance.

I guess I will never understand the thinking of some people? We have a guy new to the forum that asks for some help and several people are quick to answer and tell him why it can't or shouldn't be done??? Did you stop to think that he might already have the tools and skills required to accomplish his project? Even if he can't why do we assume he can't? I can tell you (and I built my car from scratch) that it can be done and for MUCH less than the cost of a kit or turnkey. Yes it takes a long time but it's a hobby and how long it takes is not the concern.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Thomas, yes it can be done, yes its fun, rewarding, painful and will take a long time but I promise you will learn a LOT while you do it. I will give you all the dimensions from my chassis if you would like. If what you are looking for is a hobby where you are learning all the time this is a great one.<o:p></o:p>

Steve

I don't think anyone said that it can't or shouldn't be done but rather to consider the reasons why you want to go down that route.

Its not straight forwards unlike (for example) a locost.
It will take you a *lot* more time.
It won't save you that much as a percentage of the total build costs if you have to start from scratch with zero equipment. If you have everything then things are very different, then its 'just' a matter of plans, metal and time!

As I said before, if its just because you want to make your own then do it!

Yep I'd agree there.

There are plenty of reasons for doing your own, if its just because you want to make your own then do it!

If its to save money then think hard and long about how much you will really save. Unless you have all the kit already I can't see much saving. By the time you've got a decent welder, grinders, tube cutter(s), made the jigs and bought the steel you could easily see yourself north of 1k without even trying. Then factor in design time, training and practice if you haven't welded before plus actual build time and you've spent all your spare time for 2 years. How much could you earn in that time to buy a chassis?

Personally after lots of considering a scratch build including lots of cheating by using suspension components from existing cars and all sorts of cheats I figured that I would be better off working some extra hours or one day/weekend O/T, I could earn the money to pay for the chassis in less time than the chassis lead time and still spend plenty of time with the family etc. I could not manage to make a chassis in the same time, maybe if I'd made umpteen already but without experience no chance.

Most sensible thing I've read for a while. Why search for the wholy grail, build a REPLICA.
If your not prepared to spend some money buy an MG.

I have a 3D model of my KCC chassis if that helps... It's an old late 80s design though and uses Ford suspension parts. So nothing as elaborate as the modern kits.

While a dated design would be a start for someone who wants to design their own.

I'm sure others while maybe not wanting to 'publish' their own plans or dimensions from their cars might be persuaded to validate/compare the measurements so that any prospective builder could be happy that they could get bodywork to fit.

Another thing perspective scratch builders might find interesting is inrekor | Energy efficient vehicles for everyone, now although more MKIV there is no reason MK1/2/3 couldn't be built with a MKIV style chassis.

Hi,
Of the scratch builders on this forum, which ones have provided a copy of their chassis with dimensions. (referring to cad or pdf plans which includes lengths of tube etc) I know a few of them mentioned they would once it was finished however i have lost track of who that was?

I would also be happy to purchase plans however i have not found a set that are of a known quality and complete?

I too have wanted to build my own chassis. I know all the ups and downs however its something some people wish to do.

Thanks,

Back