GT40 Goodwood reunion 2007

Hi Fred -

No specific club date is planned for Goodwood this year. The only dates available at the time of query were too late in the season to be viable.

A number of GTDs / club members have already booked to attend the Goldtrack Day at Silverstone on Jun 5th that Malcolm MacAdam has mentioned elsewhere, which I'm sure will be a memorable event...

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/racetrack/21195-j40gt-birthday-party-silverstone-gp-circuit.html

Lots of hairy V8s on the full Grand Prix circuit and a 'noisy day' too - bring it on.....:D

Last edited:
Hi Paul, So are you confirming that there will be no club track day at Goodwood this year ? This would be a huge shame after years of very successfull meetings, and an important reason for club membership.

Frank / all

The post is clear, no date planned and for us to accept a suggested date in late October would not be sensible in my opinion. It is a shame, I for one enjoy Goodwood, but slowly but surely they are pushing themselves out of the market to the smaller clubs, with ever increasing complications of additional red-tape, noise regulations, spectating regulations, paperwork, increased cost etc etc etc.... The very clubs and supporters that have helped elevate them to the position they now enjoy... The additional 'problems' associated with their preparations last year for the Revival meeting, the fact that our actual agreed date was 'bumped' once without our agreement + other inflexible attitudes, made last year more troublesome than ever previously...

I joined the Goodwood supporters club many moons ago, before the Revival and Festival of Speed events were formed and now the club is defunct as I understand...?? It is now replaced by the Goodwood Road Racing Club, along with the 'Aero Club' and no doubt half a dozen other suitably elite clubs to belong to...... all at a price...!

I am a member of the GRRC - after a two year waiting list I was contacted in March 2006 and paid my fees - some £200+ and how have renewal fees of some £115+ per year.... (which again I have paid).... Still - I do save about a tenner or so on a weekend ticket for the 'main events' - :pepper: hmmmm....

I do not think that club event was or is the main reason for being a club member either as your post suggests, there are many members that have remained members for many years as they support the club and enjoy the friendly knowledgeable advice available from many of the other members. Many of them have not attended one of the main trackdays ever and it has never been a requirement to be a member to take part anyway - we have welcomed all in the past.:)

Whilst the Goodwood trackdays have been fun, they cannot be considered good value for money (again in my opinion) when compared to other venues. For equal amounts, you can have 6 to 8 (if you're lucky!) 10 minute sessions on track at Goodwood, where you'll get 5 laps or so at a time, in a noise restricted environment. For the same at say Silverstone or Donington on a GoldTrack event, you'll normally get 8 half hour sessions on possibly a FULL GRAND PRIX circuit, without restrictive noise regulations, Decent warm dry pits with power and toilets are available too for an additional £30... So, 60 to 80 mins at Goodwood, vs 240 minutes at say Silverstone..... hmmmmm - what seems the better value????

Not looking for confrontation, just 'saying it as I see it' and I am speaking as an individual/club member, NOT on behalf of the club or club committee before anyone asks/suggests....:D

Last edited:
Paul,

I must say I would be very disappointed if the GT40 track day was dropped – I think it has always been an excellent day for those who are not competing regularly. Not only is it a fun day out (on track) for those with little or no track experience but also the social side is great! For many participants this is the only time they can actually drive these cars as road insurance is virtually impossible to obtain for anyone under 25. Whilst I do appreciate that it might be a bit frustrating for the members who compete regularly, they are not the majority of the membership. My daughter drove our 40 for the first time at Goodwood in 2005 and again last year – on her 21st birthday. She is not experienced enough and I would not be happy with her doing an open session with a mixed bunch of other cars – some of which are a lot faster in the corners. For many of us our cars are not fully developed racers but are still our pride and joy. The risk of damage is far greater in the open sessions you are advocating. I am still repairing the damage to my brothers Lola that was hit at Brands by some over zealous cosworth powered Caterham that came into Druids far to hot, out braked himself and couldn’t turn in – so he just used me instead!

For many of us it is imperative to have as much notice as possible to organise the day off work – my wife could not make last year as she was unable to get the time off when the date was confirmed.

Please could you confirm that it is still the Club’s desire to hold a track day, which is aimed at those who don’t get that much track exposure – I do appreciate that your views are you own and may not necessarily be that of the committee. My vote is to keep the GT40 track day going, keep it limited to GT40s and don’t dilute the experience with a mixed bag of other cars!

Dave Gibbins

Malcolm

Supporter
Dave, I think your sentiment will be shared by many people here. BUT someone has to put their money where their mouth is ie signing a contract to pay somewhere in the region of £7,000 for the day and then to wait whilst owners dig into their own pocket to pay it back to the organiser. Trust me, that wait isn't much fun.

It was only by generous sponsorship from JP's company (Reflex Nutrition) and use of "other" cars that filled the day up to cover costs that lead to a small profit for the club on recent years. Goodwood's continual maximisation of profit for their organisation is driving the clubs regular track day drivers away to better value for money events. I for one am no longer prepared to pay around £280 for one hours driving time when I can easily get 3 to 4 hours for £295.

Add in the change of date to late October and with the increased risk of rain (which really turns GT40 owners off from track driving!), it just makes no sense for the club to risk a big loss from limited funds to run a track day just for GT40s.

A suggestion.

Maybe this is time for the Enthusiasts Club to run the day? From the last AGM of the GTD40 Car Club it was members from the Enthusiast Club that seemed most concerned about the loss of the Goodwood trackday (as opposed to going to other venues with other organisers as a goup) plus the risk from "other" cars. I know that Frank Catt was a tad miffed at not being asked to organise recent track days for the GTD40 Car Club, but I understand he is a far more active member of the Entusiasts Club now than he is for the GTD40 Car Club, so perhaps he could do so on behalf of that club, if asked. He knows what is involved and he is a firm believer in the track day being for just gt40's than many people I know. Anyway just a suggestion.....

Prior to this thread starting I had posted a thread about a Silverstone track day on June 5th. If anyone wishes to come and have a look see what alternative track days are like, please do come to watch, it is free entry for spectators and if there are lots of GT40s present in the paddock, it will as usual turn lots of heads!

Last edited:
Dave -

I sympathise with your thoughts, but as I previously mentioned, the dates offered would make a planned event even more difficult than usual as many cars are off road by then in the season and getting people to commit to an event late in the season is not easy, especially considering the possilble weather situation... The £6-7K outlay commitment from the club is also no small matter either....

Goodwood now require several club representatives (preferably at committee level) to help with the running of the day and to be available ALL-DAY for any incidents or managerial decisions.

No longer is it acceptable to manage one minute and then drive the next!

I have aided in this task previously but the general attitude I got last year from Goodwood's appointed head marshall, was less than friendly on occasions. For want of better words I ran around like a 'blue-arsed-fly' all day, had spent a lot of time preparing for the day, and still got 'grief' from several directions on the day (to be expected) but additionally some issues from seasoned participants that 'should have known better' in my opinion.:mad: For that reason alone I sadly do not feel compelled to help again. Time for some fresh blood....?????

Those that regularly compete(d) may not be the majority of the membership, but they are certainly the majority of club members that have attended such days.. If we excluded the invited 'non-club members' and 'other car' drivers, those remaining GTD Club members who have attended and supported are still comprised mainly of 'compeititors'...

I am not knocking what you are saying, I am again just speaking as I see it - If a date had been available in say July or early August and a trackday was run, I would certainly have booked myself, but it's not, so I havent.:(

One last thing, I'm sorry to hear about the incident with the Caterham, but when you step into a car, especially on a circuit, incidents can happen. I know you'll already know that but just about all the competitors and many others have have had 'incidents' on occasions (generally down to their own over enthusiasm - mine was) and IF the car hitting you were a fellow club member's 40, I'm sure it would not soften the blow, you'd still be pretty Pi$$3d off I'm sure...

Again - my personal (and honest) views...... :) :) :)

Finally, subject to Roy's 40 (A11GTD) being alive and kicking, I too intend to book a place at Silverstone on June 5th and visitors are more than welcome to come along. Goldtrack are very keen to encourage more GT40s to their events and normally waive the small £10 fee to club members attending as 'passengers'.....;)

ps - looked at a Suzuki 1200S Bandit today.... so maybe 2 wheels are calling me now.....:D

Last edited:
Only a short reply I am afraid but I am really disapointed that there will be no get together of the the GTD club this year and I have to add it worries me regarding the future of the club - especially with the gossip I hear. My first track day ever was Goodwood last year and it was spot on. Some track days advertised seem to have huge numbers of cars on the track at once. My neighbour with a GTD did one lap on such a day and packed in as 'he wasn't risking his car with lads racing around like idiots with much much less money at stake'. Have just joined the E type club trackday at Goodwood and it was excellent with plenty of tracktime - if they can do it why can't we? Just returned from a superb and tremendous value three days at the Isle of Man. 3 GTD40's, Nadine and Bjorn attending. Many other drivers disappointed the rest weren't there. I am biased but GT40's seem to attract the spectators attention the most - the organisers must like us attending. Other clubs, such as the Morgan club, showed what a well organised club can do. We looked a bit of a rag tag club in comparison.

PS re Isle of Man one guy won all the trophies in the GT40 class - can't remember his name, not that it matters. It wasn't anybody important.

Hi John

I am sorry that there is no Goodwood day planned - but once again, I state, NO SUITABLE DATE WAS AVAILABLE and certainly a trackday where people are allowed to drive like 'idiots' is not one I would happily attend either... (especially as I would be in someone else's car as I do not have one myself..). The sort of trackdays I have attended with GoldTrack are well organised, and 'policed' by qualified, experienced, instructors.... drive like an idiot and you'll get kicked off!! - does'nt matter whether you are a budding enthusiast in a Caterham, or a 'Veteran GT3 Racer' in a full factory Porsche, GoldTrack trade heavily on their responsible approach to SAFE trackday management and will not jeopardise that reputation over driving standards - regardless of car or celebrity status!!....

I'm very pleased you enjoyed the Isle of Man - it is a great event.... and I sorely miss attending, but alas my normal work commitments have to prevail and I was not in a position to attend this time... I have supported the club as a driver there on at least 4 other occasions and also attended just to provide moral support and lend a spanner where required....

It is unfortunate that we were unable to field a larger group, but two other cars, Dave with his R42 (now also with 6-speed straight cut UN1 conversion) and Julian Bailey-Watts (with the ex Bob Usher Sparks Chevy GTD) did also attend Gurston HillClimb on the Saturday which clashed with the Lherghy Frissell event. Both also had a fun time, with JBW managing a 360 degree spin I'm told across the finish line - and if you know Gurston, thats no mean feat....:eek:

I'm quite sure that the Morgan (and many other) club are able to field a larger group of cars, but they have some 5000 members too, on a pro rata basis, they should have had about 100+ drivers and I presume they did'nt?? It is unfortunate that of the 160+ members we have, only 10 or so are interested in competing, a sign of the times perhaps???

Re the 'gossip' - I have not heard it, but then as a magazine editor, who ever wants to speak to me?? - it always seems there is 'someone' out there who wants to stir things up and create friction (or in their eyes 'promote discussion') but who is also unwilling to bring matters to the attention of the committee, so that important issues can be aired and hopefully resolved. ALL clubs can only ever be the sum of the supplied input/feedback - if 'nobody can be bothered' then what can a club possibly hope to offer??? :mad:

I aim (at last) to finish the current club mag this week (having received the chairman's comments + another 'situation report') and hope to include reports on both the Isle of Man / Gurston and bring the 'rumour-mill' up-to-date with FACT.....

Hi Malcolm
Mr Bate wasn't too happy about doing a few runs up the Llerghy Frissel leg with his underpants taped to the nearside rear of his car. Sore looser and dirty skid's!!!
I went along to watch and do some spanner work to help out John Bate and Martin Weigold compete. At breakfast the first morning Bjorn asked if I was having a go? Having no licence I thought I had no chance to enter. Later in the day I got hold of one of the organisers and with there help we managed to get an entry sorted. Can't thank them enough.
Next thing I know is I am sat at the bottom of Bray Hill in borrowed helmet and race gear ready to go. What a ride!
Next day was Sloc which is just so bumpy and then my favourite Llergy Frissel on the final day. It must have been beginners luck but I managed to win the three events. I was up against some tough competition in the form of Martin Weigold in his immaculate GTD40, Nadine Geary in her Brock Cobra Daytona and some other no mark from Burnley in his Andrew Fordyce GTD40!
I have to say that the organisers did a brilliant job all three days and had sabotage to deal with on the Bray Hill Climb which delayed the start. Apart from that the days went well and the weather was perfect for all three events.
All that went had a brilliant time, the camaraderie and the micky taking was monumental as were the hills. Would I go again? You bet ya. I'm now officially hooked. Thanks Bjorn!

Regards Martin.

Hi Martin -

Welcome & Congratulations - ALL in one sentence...

I'm really pleased that you had a go over there and have obviously had a great time... Whilst our club entry was small, you have already found how welcoming we are to new members and competitors, we all are there for one thing and that is to have fun.... Sure it's nice to come first, but the biggest step is 'having a go' - nobody has anything to prove to others and a safe days competition and understanding just what works and what doesnt is where the fun is at.... (well done to Bjorn, Nadine, Martin and John for being so 'persuasive' in getting you at it, and to the MSA and Manx Club for obviously being so 'accomodating' too - Thanks all!)

You obviously have a great future competing too, as whilst the club field was small, most are experienced competitors and both Martin's (6GTD) and John's (804AJB) cars have both been prepared to exacting standards for competition work... A win on all three events is a truly outstanding achievement and I and others look forward to seing you hopefully at future mainland events too...:)

rockonsmile :pepper: rockonsmile :pepper: Well Done!!:pepper: rockonsmile :pepper: rockonsmile

finally - I've received an email via my GTD Club address from a 'jounalist' looking to contact you, I'll pass his details by pm to you...:)

Last edited:
Paul
I understand that their is a trophy for the fastest GT40 up Llhergy Fissel called the Baines Trophy (not sure of the spelling) do you know the whereabouts of the trophy and how it would be presented as their was no mention of it on the Island.

Regards Martin

''but once again, I state, NO SUITABLE DATE WAS AVAILABLE ''
Capital letters Paul? sounds like you are telling me off!!! I am a new member and don't know how the club works but I do know that it seems to be very centred around the south of the country. A GTD day surely doesn't have to be Goodwood - Silverstone is not too bad a drive for anybody and Donnington is a great track. At the Isle of Man they gave out details of a sprint event in Anglesey in October that looks great fun. There will be at least 2 GTD's there if anyone else is interested.

''some other no mark from Burnley in his Andrew Fordyce GTD40!'
LISTEN YOU - as I spent all week telling you, its my car not AF's car. I paid for it so its all mine, so there. As it was my first ever event I was very proud of my fourth place in class- it impressed my mates down the pub anyway. Even though when you were getting your award I shouted out' it should have been me!' I do congratulate you on winning and I would very much like to have the honour of presenting you with the Baines trophy. I hope it is a very large impressive trophy because I have a good idea where its going when i present it to you.
PS bottle of whisky awarded for any good photo of me sprinting away with my tartan undies duck taped on the back - poor Andrew Fordyce would have a heart attack if he could see whats happened to his car - I mean MY CAR.

Guys Guys - you make me feel even more upset that I was unable to attend the IOM this year.... The more I hear the more it sounds like you had a right laugh - at each others expense...:D :D :D and it only goes to show just how much fun can be had at these events even though the actual driving time is rather short...

I've already had Martin Weigold calling me about the next planned event and referring to the the 'new kid on the block'.... setting the mark for others to follow... Great Stuff!!

Re the 'COH Baines Trophy' - it is I believe awarded for the fastest GT40 up the 'Lerghy Frissel' hillclimb and was won I think by Ray Christopher's GTD40 Spyder last year, although I am not positive whether it was Ray or Roy driving at the time.... I'll check and get back to you...

It has been (on occasion) awarded at the Manx event but is not a part of their awards ceremony and so I look forward to seing it presented at the next possible event we can meet up at.. (I believe last year's winner still has it at present)... If John's suggested method of presentation is what I think it is, then Martin might not want to be photographed accepting it!!:eek: :eek: ..... ouch!!:lol: :lol:

Once again - well done to ALL those who took part....

ps - Sorry if you thought I was 'telling you off' - no offense was meant - I just thought that you might not have read the previous postings on this thread as I had said the same before about Goodwood. Also - re doing it up-north - eg Silverstone/Donnington, great, I'm all for that, but again I do not think we could afford to hire the cct outright as a club - more likely attend one of the existing events from an established Trackday Organiser... Perhaps time for a poll elsewhere on the subject - I'll try to post one later to guage opinion / interest....

Last edited:
Paul - could I be really controversial. I might be wrong but it seems to me, as a new boy, that this/our club is for GT40 racing(GTD or not) and the other club (of which I am also a member) is for building and polishing GT40's. I suspect that there are members of the Enthusiasts club who would love to have a GT40 track day but who are put off by the thought of having to share the track with big, tough and rough, drivers like that Nadine. Why not have a SHARED CLUB track day with perhaps slow, medium and fast sessions. You would have 500 potential customers now - surely enough to fill a private GT40 track day? The gossip I was referring to was that at the Isle of Man, in the bar, I was told that somewhere in the past the 2 clubs fell out, but it was that long ago nobody can remember why. A joint event may be the start of some peace and harmony in the very small world of GT40's?

Back