GT40 Ordered!

After several years waiting for my ducks to fall in a row, I paid a visit to Fran yesterday to put a deposit down for a Deluxe Plus Mk I GT40 package. As far as I can tell, it will eventually be the only GT40 prowling this side of Wyoming.

As timing has it, I caught Fran and company in the middle of a move to new spaces. Those who have visited perhaps would agree with my being amazed with their production pace given the limited square footage of the old premises. Cramped indeed. Despite being pulled in three directions at once, Fran took the time to offer me a tour of the new facility not far down the road from the old.

They will now have three times the space of the old to do what they do best. Lots of square footage to allow each project its own space, a separate space for machining, a separate room to whittle on fiberglass, a space isolated from the factory area for race R&D, another separate space for a showroom and carpeted office space with multiple rooms are some of the features I saw.

This can only mean good things for the industry we support and the products we lust after.

Congrats, Rich. Was it a GT40 always for you without doubt or did you compare it to other models Fran has to offer? Guess I'm curious if it was RCR over XYZ or GT40 over SLC?

Just curious as I'm a waffler as I finish up my project Porsches on which route to go to be happiest. Yes, a visit ............I know.

Great news, Welcome to the kit builders club. I know you'll like what you have in the end. Fran makes a great product and has super customer service. Post pics so we all can enjoy. Richard

Great news rich! if you south into Colorado We have some of frans 40's and are very pleased. good luck with the project...........

Chuck

Supporter
Congratulations! You are at the start of a great project. Take your time and enjoy the build. Look forward to your build blog. You made a good choice.

Thanks for the support guys. I've poured over this forum over the years to gain some knowledge as to what is involved with a build. This build will end up looking like P1036 down to the paint scheme but Avon tires to replace the Blue Streaks. I'm talking to Lance at Keith Kraft now about an engine build. Looking to build an alloy 302 derivative with a short stroke, dry sump oiling and fuel injection 'cause I won't want to fettle with Webers and temperature / altitude changes are large in these parts. A year or so ago I sent Fran my Ricardo with the agreement he would supply me a transaxle more appropriate to the short stroke engine. A six speed Porsche is in the mix now to fill that role.

To Luke: I had settled on a GT40 when the SLC was merely a gleam in Fran's eye. I appreciate the history of the GT but would not hesitate to build a SLC in the future should the build bug bite hard on the first go with the GT. Any of the manufacturers would have sufficed, but my appreciation for good engineering caused the RCR product to leap to the top of the list. A visit to the shop will seal your fate.

The car will not be giving free advertising to Shell Oil nor will it have roundrels for a number and mini spats on the top/rear of the front wheel wells. For that matter, I don't see a reason to install an anchor point for a parachute on the rear deck. The RCR will duplicate the proportions of 1036 with the +2 rear end that I like. The paint scheme of that car suits it well, correct and aggressive. A noticeable paint job is important should the exhaust note be insufficient to cause other drivers to see a car that stands only 40 inches tall.

Congrats on your order Rich. I have looked at a RCR40 MKII and a SLC both, hoping to be able to order one myself in the near future. Will be looking forward to your build.

Which squadron where you with?

VF-101, VF-1 and HC-8 for me.
PR-1, before I got out a few years ago.

Hi Rebecca

I was in VF-111, VF-124 as an instructor and VF-202 as a reserve poge before they transitioned to FA-18's. All my time was in A models; would have liked to fly the D which was the intended configuration before budget restraints kept the P&W engines aboard. Engine problems alone killed a good number of Nasal Radiators. We had a saying, "If the engine says Pratt & Whitney the seat better say Martin/Baker."

LoL.
Yes, I have heard that before. Of course, I never want you to put my work to the test.
I was happy when they brought the Grim Reaper back, I spent the most time with them.

Good luck on your build and will let this thread get back to normal posts.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Nice, what is the delivery time? When do you expect to be driving it? Are parts hard to get?

Mike, RCR's web site states 16 weeks and, when asked, Fran stated 16 weeks for the kit to ship. With little things like moving their factory location, either they pad the time required to assemble the components or they are fanatical about scheduling.

This is my first build so I'm not going to predict how long it will take to assemble the beast. Things like work, kids, drifting snow, etc. can factor into blowing any prediction. Why put a time on such an adventure? While half the enjoyment will be driving the final product, the first half is the journey leading up to it.

My assembled parts list is not the simplest way to put a GT40 on the street but it is not revolutionary either. Fuel injection will add some complexity and dry sump lubrication adds some additional plumbing. My avowed appreciation for good engineering leads me to consider Dailey Engineering's modular dry sump system for oiling, expensive but I'll never have to look back to say "coulda, shoulda." I'm jumping on specing the engine build right now so it will be ready when the car is delivered.

If possible, have the engine delivered to Fran, along with your transaxle. So they can be fitted there. Will make one less step for you and they will make sure everything lines up right the first time.

Back