GT40 - Radiator Fan Shroud

The prevailing setup on the Pantera which is very similar in overall shape and size (low to the ground, little front air intake area, long coolant tubes, etc.) is two sucker fans with a slightly laid forward radiator in order to provide room to mount the fans. Most use a fully shrouded radiator enclosure in this case. I personally am still running and original brass radiator with two fans mounted on the front blowing and in this case no shroud and have no issues. It would be interesting to see the flow data from the SPALs of the world which is more efficient, a fan blowing or a fan sucking from the back. And yet I see no shrouds on an SPF, ERA or the original GT.

A fan pulling from the back will be more efficient, if you have the room add an air dam under the rad . A air dam will make an area of low pressure behind the rad and more air will go trough.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy, it has been a few years since this post about radiators and air flow. Wondering what the current thinking is regarding mounting the radiator fans. In my case, my main concern is getting stuck in traffic and overheating. Thx much.
Thanks to photos supplied by Mitch Krause (current owner of my GT40)..
Mitch did not report any issues with the cooling system or any overheating…

1712448798290.jpeg
1712448798290.jpeg
IMG_6135.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6136.jpeg
    IMG_6136.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 65

Paul T.

Supporter
For slow speed and stop And go traffic I'm a firm believer in a shroud so that the fans draw air from the total area of the radiator. But the shroud will also restrict the airflow at higher speeds. On my shroud I took the design of some cars shrouds with slots cut in so air can flow thru better at high speeds. The slots will have rubber flaps so at slow speeds the fans will pull good and at high speeds the air will push the rubber flaps open. I also agree to seal the front so that all avaliable air goes thru the radiator and not around it.I may later open up the slots more, just see how it works.
20221119_165945.jpg

Randy Folsom

Supporter
For slow speed and stop And go traffic I'm a firm believer in a shroud so that the fans draw air from the total area of the radiator. But the shroud will also restrict the airflow at higher speeds. On my shroud I took the design of some cars shrouds with slots cut in so air can flow thru better at high speeds. The slots will have rubber flaps so at slow speeds the fans will pull good and at high speeds the air will push the rubber flaps open. I also agree to seal the front so that all avaliable air goes thru the radiator and not around it.I may later open up the slots more, just see how it works.
View attachment 137859
Paul, That is a nice looking shroud. Too bad the slots will be hidden by the rubber flaps.

Back