GT40s at Goodwood Revival 2013

I was surprised they it was not listed in the program. I am sure it did not have a number plate in 2010?

Regards Allan

I'm guessing that as its not being raced in anger it might as well be used on the road. Being tucked away as it was I suspect it was a late entry. Was surprised at hoe crazed the apintwork was on the rear shell which hopefully is a sign that its be getting some good use over the last few years. Did you notice that although it had Good Year in white on the tyres they were actually Dunlops :)

No it wasnt road legal back in 2010 but I understand it was sold just after its appearence at the Classic Le Mans that year.

I wonder how well XGT-2 #7 would have done in '66 with the original line up of Hill & Stewart? and had not been pranged in practice by Thompson?

I have seen letters thanking the Holman and Moody team for their efforts in the win at the 1966 Le Mans. Although the number 5 car GT40P/1016 finished 3rd . They as were the Alan Manns team (No 7) being backups to the Shelby team. I think there were some politics and strategy involved.
However, it does not matter whether the drivers were Stewart or Graham Hill the cars had to be reliable, reasonably fast and finish the race!! 'What if' does not make a race winner!

Sundude according to the program GT40P/1020 was supposed to be at the Revival on display not racing. Its a Ford France car with in 1967 a early Gulf type tail. Did anyone see it?
On the Channel fours coverage I did see a Gulf Type tailed MKI in the pit lane. All the other pre 1966 would of had twin lights rear decks. Also one of the Race cars I photo I am sure had 6 spoke wheels.
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Effectively there was one 'pit' unused (White 3 beside the Gulf cars) - I wonder if that should have had 1020 on display - I'm sure I did not see it

I don't think I've come across any photos of P/1020 at this year's event, but car #11 (GEL007) resembles it pretty closely, no...?

1075350-1024.jpg

1075393-1024.jpg

From what I saw in the paddock with its preparation and in the race J-9 was being raced flat out. I asked them if the car was going to be put back to G-7A configuration and they said why!!!???? when the owner had had it built to MKIV specs.

#5 -- GT40 P/1010 -- VRE 777G -- Adrian Newey | Kenny Bräck
I thought that Brack who co-drove the winner with Newey had won the Indy 500?

Even in 1967 A.J. Foyt in Dan Gurneys winning J-5 MKIV was a rookie to endurance racing.
Regards Allan

Apparently J9 also had a few off track excursions, which explains a lot of the time loss. However I would still suggest that the car wasn't being run at the top of its potential.

A.J. Foyt was a professional racing driver (and a very quick one at that) who had previously competed in a handful of sportscar races in America with some great success and had piloted a MkII at Sebring in '66 and '67 and Daytona in '67 and had competed in multiple stock car road races. So yes he was a rookie at Le Mans and a relative rookie in endurance racing but he was by no means an amateur like many at Goodwood.

All I'm saying is that Goodwood isn't a true comparison of cars.

It was very exciting to see my old friend racing P/1027 at Goodwood, a shame that they had a little incident but only bodywork (reproduction!) and pride was hurt. My chum said the conditions were incredibly slippery in qualifying, which the Brack video proves!... The drivers at the front of the race were top calibre drivers.

I looked at P/1027 in great detail last year when it was for sale. I seriously considered a purchase as this car although it wasn't raced in period, was always a proper racer and as such didn't have any period mega shunts! When you look at 1027 it is still ever so correct and original (albeit with the latest suspension setup and engine!).. A car that has both been used and enjoyed over the years in the correct manner and not messed about with. In the end I decided an original road car is probably the way forward for me - but it would have been thrilling to see a quick pilot whizzing round Goodwood in MY car!

Does anyone know if Ford (or othrs) are planning anything for Le Mans 2016 for the 50th, either Main or Classic? I asked a few people at the Revival but know one knew about anything concrete.

Glenn M

Supporter
I'm not sure if it's an original but this car was bloody fast at the Revival!! :laugh4::laugh4::laugh4:

Glenn

Attachments

• Goodwood Le Mans pits.jpg
    Goodwood Le Mans pits.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 393
Me thinks you know very well if its an original! Damn fine looking car but I think you already know that. :thumbsup::laugh:

Keith

I wonder if Ronnie Smith would care to comment about this guy Spain who has clearly been impersonating him?

Does anyone know of Ronnie Smith's book list relating to the GT40?
Maybe his latest book will be out before Ronnie Spain's :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back