GTD fuel quantity sending unit

I have no GTD experience but surely they're just plain fuel senders, nothing special.

In which case its a case of sticking a multi-meter on them and measuring the resistance as the float moves up and down. That assumes the float isn't holed or the arm hasn't rusted off/mechanism rusted up (if a car isn't used regularly and not kept with full tanks this can happen).

What kind of symptoms are you having? 20 years old by itself isn't a reason for them to fail, my bike is 23 years old and the fuel gauge still works perfectly, on the second tank mind due to the first rusting through! ;)

The right tank was showing empty when it was at least half full.
I took the unit out. If I held the power lead to ground the gauge went up.
I cleaned the ground connection real good and it now seems to work.
Back to basics.

Malcolm

Supporter
Ground connections aways manage to shift the blame onto other things. Nothing wrong with your sender unit, just the ground. Seems like you fixed it. My sender units work fine and they are the same age as yours.

PS Does anyone know the replacement part for the sender? Or a Smith's web site.
It has a Smith Industries # TB 1114/001W. I have not been able to cross reference it on line.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Sam

Caerbont manufacture the Smiths Range
They have a worldwide dealership network

Distributors

If you cannot get any joy in the USA Speedy Cables in the UK is a very good outlet

Ian

My own update: Since I could not get a good OHM check on the sending unit I opened it up. The slide and the resistant wires looked OK, I checked the ohms there and they where good, approx 20 full & 250 empty. Finally I took the blade connector that is on the bottom side of the attaching plate off and sanded it clean and reconnected it.
It now appears to work. Let's hope.

Back