Attachments

• filler caps.jpg
    filler caps.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 729
  • filler caps (3).jpg
    filler caps (3).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 620
Hi Malc,

Yes, the tanks fill much better now. Whilst the bigger bore filler pipe certainly helps,the improved filling may be due to the vents I've fitted to the rear of the fuel tanks. I fitted a boss to the top rear inside corner of each fuel tank, then ran 8mm braided fuel hose to the top of the bulkhead (highest point possible) & fitted rollover valves & filters. Sometime in the future I may also fit a similar setup to the front of the tanks.

Regds,

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi Julian,
great work, great car.
I have a DAX40, with fuel filling problems due to poor tank venting arrangement. I was thinking along the same lines. Can you tell me what roll over valves / filters you have used?

I notice in your roll bar pictures that the roll bar would intrude into the fuel tank space in my car. Are your tanks shorter or have you modified them? In the DAX the tanks go right back to the bulkhead location.

Dave

Dave,

Enc pics of the roll-over valve spec & the filters. TBH I can't remember where I got the vents or the filters from, ISTR I got them at the Autosport show. The valve fits tight in the hose at the very top & the hose fits tight in the filter.

Re the roll bar intruding into the fuel tank space, on the GTD there is a gap between the chassis & the inside of the fuel tanks. I only had to modify the coolant pipes, the fuel tanks needed no modification.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMGP6739.JPG
    IMGP6739.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 566
  • IMGP6743.JPG
    IMGP6743.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 542
How time flies....

10 years later & still going strong! Have had many very enjoyable road & track miles since completing this car, plus lots of fun re-engineering and improving the spec to my liking.

Regards to all,
Julian

Attachments

• IMG_3580.jpg
    IMG_3580.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_3589.jpg
    IMG_3589.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_3588.jpg
    IMG_3588.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 316
Julian, you mentioned in your earlier posts that your exhaust noise was 99Db. How did you manage that?. I have a CAV GT40 with twin oval mufflers and failed miserably the noise test at Castle Coombe a while back. Is that a bespoke muffler or off the shelf product?.

I've managed to squeeze through a 99Db test a couple of times. I have found Noise testing at Castle Coombe always slightly tougher than elsewhere. I know how frustrating it can be if you get a fail....

I personally fabricated the single oval silencer, with perforated tube baffles. The night before the event I re-pack with Acousta-fil.

Acousta-Fil Exhaust Silencer Packing | Demon Tweeks

In addition to fresh wadding I fit a pair of extra silencers on the end of the tailpipes.

Merlin Mild Steel Racing Muffler from Merlin Motorsport

I have then welded a pair of Supertrapp disc silencers on the end of the cans & can add discs if required but if I'm lucky this is not always necessary.

Supertrapp Disc Only Clamp On Silencers | Demon Tweeks

All the above works for me, but it's a real PITA & not pretty. The wadding will only last one day & the extra silencers will strangle the performance. However Castle Combe is a great circuit & well worth the extra hassle.

Castle Combe sprint 18th Oct 2008 GT40 replica - YouTube

Back