GTR ENGINE CHOICE

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...Im building this as a race car...

If it's going to be used solely for 'sanctioned' racing and nothing else, then your power / engine specs are going to be limited by class rules anyway...so, the max h.p. thing wouldn't apply. For that matter, the FGT 5.4 itself might not be class-legal.

For some reason I got the impression this was going to be a 'hobby car' as opposed to being strictly a 'race-car-built-to-class-specs' type of build. I thought it'd be seeing some street use, too. 'Have no idea how I got that impression.

'Guess I'm just getting too darned old, Benny...

If it's going to be used solely for 'sanctioned' racing and nothing else, then your power / engine specs are going to be limited by class rules anyway...so, the max h.p. thing wouldn't apply. For that matter, the FGT 5.4 itself might not be class-legal.

For some reason I got the impression this was going to be a 'hobby car' as opposed to being strictly a 'race-car-built-to-class-specs' type of build. I thought it'd be seeing some street use, too. 'Have no idea how I got that impression.

'Guess I'm just getting too darned old, Benny...

Its all good mate. While id love to drive it on the road, where I live its illegal to drive a car ‘on road’ with a full race cage, but I need the cage to pass race spec. As for sanctioned race specs, if I bought an original GT40 yes, id have to go with whatever was the stock motor for that year model, or I can upgrade to whatever was a manufacturers upgrade for that specific car. There is however no limit on actual horse power.

So..... after a bit of research with the governing bodies of tarmac rally racing here in Australia (where I live and will race the car), it seems my engine choices need to be in line with the production cars, and what Ford built them with.

As ill probably end up with a kit car that will have a VIN plate with a 2020/2021 manufacture/completion date, this means that the engine I choose will have to be either the 5.4 litre superchaged Ford V8, or a 3.5 litre twin turbo V6 (which sounds like a lawn mower) as these engines are based off the GT which was produced from 2004 onwards.

So a Ford V8 it is. Since working out all this ive been contacting custom engine build shops and working it out.

Back