Gulf Mirage M1

Neil

Supporter
Has anyone ever built a replica of a Gulf Mirage M1?
IMG_20151017_095059872_HDR.jpg

The drawing for the front windshield was included in the gt40 uncovered book. I would guess that alot can be based on that print to get the correct profile.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Here are some pics that I took of the Mirage replica that was at the GT40 Enthusiasts Club magazine photoshoot at Cadwell Park circuit in 2010. This car was later for sale with the body moulds but I don't know what happened to it or where it went. Great looking car.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2932.jpg
    IMG_2932.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2931.jpg
    IMG_2931.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2930 (1).jpg
    IMG_2930 (1).jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2929 (1).jpg
    IMG_2929 (1).jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2912.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 136

Mike Pass

Supporter
Glad you like the pic. The cars were parked on Hall Bends on the Cadwell "mountain" section pointing in the usual direction.
Here is my favourite pic from the day with the cars parked pointing down the steep hill of the "mountain" which is the opposite way to normal. The Mirage is at the top. Cars and bikes tend to take off at the top of the hill which is great place to watch. It is a lot steeper than it looks in the pic.
Cheers
Mike
1670951307325.jpeg

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Glad you like the pic. The cars were parked on Hall Bends on the Cadwell "mountain" section pointing in the usual direction.
Here is my favourite pic from the day with the cars parked pointing down the steep hill of the "mountain" which is the opposite way to normal. The Mirage is at the top. Cars and bikes tend to take off at the top of the hill which is great place to watch. It is a lot steeper than it looks in the pic.
Cheers
Mike

Fun but cold day. Mine is the white one no stripes on the right. They wanted the cars empty but handbrake fully on, and in gear and it still moved downhill turning the motor, so I was in the car foot on brake! Yes it is steeper than it looks!

View attachment 126411

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think it might have to do with the narrow cockpit. Original spec GT40's are very tight inside for two people even if they are relatively small people. Narrowing up the roof and a-pillars would make it very difficult for two people to fit in. I had a look at a real one in a museum and if I remember correctly it looked like the driver's seat was more centered in the cockpit making it a single-seat car more or less. I may be wrong about that. Does anyone know if the Mirage was modified to move the driver toward the center of the car? The pictures of the Gelscoe cars seams to not confirm my recollection.

Last edited:
Back