Hamilton Fine

It bothers me that law enforcement and governments spend so much energy on "speed", when inattentive driving (having one's head up and locked) is the major cause of accidents. Speed may increase the severity of an incident, but attentiveness will more than likely eliminate it.

If 50 is safer than 70, then...(and so on and so on)

I was almost taken out by "inattentive" this morning on my ride into the office. I was making the left hand turn with the green light and the opposing driver decided it was really his turn to go across the intersection, nevermind the glowing red light in his face. I didnt think my reflexes were that fast anymore :shrug: Fortunately I was wrong.

While on a ride a few months ago in beautiful BC Canada I had a nice chat with a local while crossing Kootenay Lake on the ferry. I asked about the very conservative speed limits posted - his response -

Where did you start?
Near the border
How many cops did you see getting here?
None
So what's the problem?

Then he asked -
Did you see the hospital in the town you left this morning?
Yes, that was 125 miles back
Well, the next hospital is 125 mile the other direction from here, so it's a self limiting thing. You won't get a ticket, but you won't get an ambulance anytime soon either :knife:

On the return trip that evening the ferry was off schedule since earlier in the day it had to stop mid-trip to pick up and ambulance "speeding" to an emergency.

Back