Hard To Reach Nuts & Washers

Neil

Supporter
I didn't discover this trick- it's been around a long time but I'll pass along my experiences using it.

Getting to the backside of a bolt to install a washer or get a nut started on its threads is sometimes really difficult (see photo). I was re-installing my front anti-roll bar and each bracket was bolted to the chassis with three 1/4-28 bolts. These extended through a 1/8" aluminum plate and through a vertical 1/8" steel chassis tube. I could barely reach the end of the bolts with one fingertip so getting a nut started on the bolt threads was not easy. I remembered the old trick of wrapping a piece of tape around one finger, sticky side out, and sticking a nut to the tape adhesive. This allowed me to position the nut without it falling off into the bowels of the chassis. Although duct tape does work, I tried "Flex-Tape" and found that it holds extremely well. For farther reach, wrap the tape around a long flat blade screwdriver. That works well, too, for retrieving parts that have been dropped into places that seem inaccessible.

Attachments

• IMG_20210716_131821194.jpg
    IMG_20210716_131821194.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 319
  • Anti-RollBar Attach 1a.jpg
    Anti-RollBar Attach 1a.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 315
I didn't discover this trick- it's been around a long time but I'll pass along my experiences using it.

Getting to the backside of a bolt to install a washer or get a nut started on its threads is sometimes really difficult (see photo). I was re-installing my front anti-roll bar and each bracket was bolted to the chassis with three 1/4-28 bolts. These extended through a 1/8" aluminum plate and through a vertical 1/8" steel chassis tube. I could barely reach the end of the bolts with one fingertip so getting a nut started on the bolt threads was not easy. I remembered the old trick of wrapping a piece of tape around one finger, sticky side out, and sticking a nut to the tape adhesive. This allowed me to position the nut without it falling off into the bowels of the chassis. Although duct tape does work, I tried "Flex-Tape" and found that it holds extremely well. For farther reach, wrap the tape around a long flat blade screwdriver. That works well, too, for retrieving parts that have been dropped into places that seem inaccessible.
Good idea Neil, I've actually used a small blob of Blue Tack- and stuck it to my finger. same way.
Regards, Udo.

Reactions: Mic
Very handy. I've used tape inside sockets at times. Another trick for hard to reach spark plugs is a fuel hose pushed onto the end of the plug. Works well for getting them started or talking them out after breaking the torque.

Back