Has anyone done a transverse mounted engine in an SL-C?

I remember when Fran first showed the concept of the SL-C he said it would be able to take either a transverse mounted engine like an Elise, or a longitude mounted V8 like everyone seems to put in them. To me, the idea of a transverse mounted engine seems like a very light weight and more cost effective option. Has anyone done this? Is this still even an option?

I'm writing a post on my blog about various component cars, and i want to be sure about these things!

Thanks,

John

Best left for Fran to answer. I believe the transverse engine in the early proto was dismissed for the current north-south arrangement.

Its not an option any longer...although a longitudinal 4 cylinder with a less expensive transaxle is still a very real option ...the SLC chassis will accomodate any trans...Audi through to Griffin Gearbox....and everything in between...

The transverse chassis was actually a completely different chassis than the longitudinal one and was modular in construction....

I do havea new transverse chassis platform though....damn...told myself I wasn't going to mention it yet...

Ahh! another mid-engine car! I'm sure its going to be great whatever it is, but do you have any future plans to ever do a front engine car?

I do havea new transverse chassis platform though....damn...told myself I wasn't going to mention it yet...
I'm thinking this is going to be a car similar to a Lotus Elise. Am I close?
That would be very cool but after driving my mid engine Suby powered Spyder around for a while, I must say I do miss the sound and torque of a big V8... Preferably located in front of the car :thumbsup: (not so subtle hint)

Elise is far too small for America IMHO....I know they have sold a lot but the target demographic could be much larger.

I already make a few V8 cars and 4cyl....so who knows maybe this one will be a turbo V6.....I didnt actually say it was mid engined either, now did I??...

Oops!!! Good catch.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Come on.. I dont think you'll be putting a transverse mounted engine in the front of a car! That is, unless your building a Chevy Cavalier replica.. :drunk:

There is nothing like the tire chirping power that comes out of a 140hp Cavalier! On a serious note, Ive always wondered what a Pontiac Fiero would look like these days if they didnt stop production.

There is a Fiero running around here with the standard manual Getrag gearbox and transverse LS7 engine. He has no issues (YET).

Back