Hazard warning lights - needed for UK MOT?

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
After doing some work on my car, I booked it in for MOT. Just checking lights I find that the car doesn't have Hazard warning lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif AFAIK these are mandatory, but the car has had a number of successful MOT's with previous owners. I am torn between carrying on or delaying MOT until I fit a relay, which I'll do anyway this weekend. Anyone else without them and passed MOT anyway??

regards
Dave

Hello Dave

If your 40 was registered after 1 April 1986 then, as I understand it, hazard warning lights are obligatory. There are still some anomalies between testing stations and it depends who tests the car - I guess you're a long way from the testing station that passed it last time!

Cheers

Rob

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Dave,

Hella UK do a great hazzard switch which is similar to the one I use in our Roaring Forties cars. The external has a screw on ring similar to a toggle switch and I recommend that you buy the back electrical connector block with it (sold seperately). The wiring is VERY complicated but the switch comes with full wiring instructions for either seperate flasher cans or wiring into the existing flasher can for the indicators. I recommend that you opt for the seperate flasher can wiring.

I wired one into my first car myself and I had little confidence in the "white mans majic" and honestly expected all the "smoke " would escape from the wiring on trying to get the thing to work. You could imagine how suprised I was when it worked first time even with the rats nest behind it. The rats nest was cleaned up with the rear plug I mentioned earlier.

Most importantly the hazzard switch does not look bad on the dash and it is a SAFETY aspect and in my opinion SHOULD be fitted.

Best wishes,

Robert

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Rob, they are obligatory, and Robert I agree they are necessary. I checked out the Hella option, but my timescale was too tight as I need to attend a show next weekend. So I went to the local scrappy, most modern cars have the steering facia mounted hazard switch, or have ones contoured to the dash, so I looked at the older vehicles, and came across a pull switch with light in the knob. From a VW camper van, blends in well since it is very retro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Working out the wiring and fitting took 4 hrs, the most difficult bit was having to rebate the dash as the fibreglass was thicker then the securing bezel. The flasher can was rated for each end plus side repeaters, so no problem.
So, job done and on to the MOT it's booked in tomorrow, after visting and consulting 5 stations which cant accomodate the ground clearance. Found one with a pit and a very low jacking fixture, so heres hoping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Thanks for your help.
Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Passed MOT, exibition/track demos this weekend

Passed MOT this morning, so fully legal now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Had a good look underneath, some minor issues to take care of, proximity of handbrake cable pull bracket to water pipes, but the one I don't like is the proximity of the sump to the ground, it's the lowest point by 1/2" or so, witnessed by the scrapes and dings already there. I will need to look for a shallower sump pan.
So I am reasonably ready for exhibition at Knockhill this coming weekend, static show and track demos. Let's hope I dont make an exhibition of myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, I will be careful, because I think there is some suspension setting necessary here. I get two track sessions on saturday and two on sunday. It's a show sponsored by the Scottish Sun newspaper, never read em myself, but should be a fun first outing.
regards
Dave

Re: Passed MOT, exibition/track demos this weekend

Congratulations, Dave!
I hope to follow you when my car is MOT'd at the end of the month.
My concern is the emission standard against which a 1996 car and engine will be tested. Naturally, there is no cat with which to meet the 1996 emission standard.
The car has passed successfully every year since 1999 in other owners' hands, so I presume there must be a loophole through which the car creeps every time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter

Thanks Tony, I dont know much about emissions, but this link might help you. I was a bit surprised my car had got through in years past without a hazard warning switch, but it did. The testing stations up here say no way would they pass it, maybe they are stricter up here. It might help you to pop into a MOT station or two and ask about it in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
emissions
regards
Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter

Tony, btw do check your ground clearance / nose overhang against your MOT station's stand. What you should look for is a stand which comes down flush with the floor so there are no ramps. Also there is often a cross beam jack on rollers to lift each end of the car in turn so that ball joints can be checked. Some of these were higher than my ground clearance. If you cant find a suitable stand you would have to resort to planks of wood to get up the ramp and more to clear the cross beam jack.

regards
Dave

I never thought about the problem with ramps!
My local MOT station has a pit with jack set into the sides, so the issue of ground clearance never came up. 5 years of MOTs with the old car and the hazard warning light question never came up either. (First Registered in 88).

Back