Hello - GT40 or Cobra? Where to start

Hi All,

I'm just an average DIY guy and car fanatic. I've always repaired my own cars, houses, etc. - but have always dreamed of building my own car. Now that I'm getting close to the means to do this, I'm trying to decide what go for.

I'd rather take on the build than do turnkey, and I'm trying to achieve supercar performance - skidpads, etc. aside - a sub-3s 0-60 is my goal. Given this, I've been looking at the RCR40 Mk1 and dreaming up the right engine/trans mating to achieve this.

Separately, I've always loved cobras, and from what I see from FF, etc - the build seems less daunting than the GT40 - and maybe a more comfortable drive? I'm a smaller guy - 5'7" 150lbs - so tighter spaces aren't too much of a concern (fine with me, or even better if it feels like a fighter jet :) ).

So my question. Is a sub-3s 0-60 on the RCR kit unrealistic (or it needs alot of work / reinforcement to get to this and handle it) and I need to pair down my expectations? Which car is more comfortable? more fun? I'll be building for street use - so plan to add stereo, etc. Don't see myself taking it to the track right away.

Pros and cons between the GT40 and Cobra - the build and performance expectations? What do y'all think?

Neil

Supporter
Hi All,

I'm just an average DIY guy and car fanatic. I've always repaired my own cars, houses, etc. - but have always dreamed of building my own car. Now that I'm getting close to the means to do this, I'm trying to decide what go for.

I'd rather take on the build than do turnkey, and I'm trying to achieve supercar performance - skidpads, etc. aside - a sub-3s 0-60 is my goal. Given this, I've been looking at the RCR40 Mk1 and dreaming up the right engine/trans mating to achieve this.

Separately, I've always loved cobras, and from what I see from FF, etc - the build seems less daunting than the GT40 - and maybe a more comfortable drive? I'm a smaller guy - 5'7" 150lbs - so tighter spaces aren't too much of a concern (fine with me, or even better if it feels like a fighter jet :) ).

So my question. Is a sub-3s 0-60 on the RCR kit unrealistic (or it needs alot of work / reinforcement to get to this and handle it) and I need to pair down my expectations? Which car is more comfortable? more fun? I'll be building for street use - so plan to add stereo, etc. Don't see myself taking it to the track right away.

Pros and cons between the GT40 and Cobra - the build and performance expectations? What do y'all think?

Sub- 3 second 0 to 60 mph times are simply a function of traction/wheelspin. Take those specs with a BIG grain of salt! Was it measured with racing slicks? On asphalt? On concrete? What was used to measure speed? Speedometer? Radar? Laser? What was used to measure time? Stop watch? Chronograph? There is so much BS "data" out there about 0-60 times that it is virtually a meaningless number. Bring a timing slip from an accredited drag strip and you have something with 60 ft times and 1/4 mile time and speed.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I’ve got a lifetime of building and rebuilding cars, trucks and racecars. I’ve built 6 FFR Cobras and a Daytona from FFR. They were all a piece of cake compared to the GT40. If it’s down to a coin toss - just build the Cobra for less than half of what it will cost you to build a GT40.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Sub- 3 second 0 to 60 mph times are simply a function of traction/wheelspin. Take those specs with a BIG grain of salt! Was it measured with racing slicks? On asphalt? On concrete? What was used to measure speed? Speedometer? Radar? Laser? What was used to measure time? Stop watch? Chronograph? There is so much BS "data" out there about 0-60 times that it is virtually a meaningless number. Bring a timing slip from an accredited drag strip and you have something with 60 ft times and 1/4 mile time and speed.
See

There you go a timing slip from my car at the Santa Pod track. Street tyres, pump fuel, drove it to the track, still had lunch and drinks in the door pockets and tools packed behind the seats. Track was properly prepared and sticky.

Ian

I agree with Randy having built both myself the cobra is much easier to build and a ton of fun. If you like your stereo then consider a hard top for the cobra otherwise you can't here it with the wind and road noise. As far as performance they both feel fast even at 20 miles pr hour. My cobra scary fast but also squirrelly as he'll if your not careful . So consider everything you want and if it's not going to be tracked then don't worry about speed !

Charlie M

Supporter
Between the two, from an entry level perspective for a project like this, I would choose the Cobra. I built a FFR Cobra; bought the kit in '02 finished it in '04. It was an incredible experience, both the build and the connection to the local FFR community. The Cobra is an absolute beast; it's loud, it's fast and it attracts a LOT of attention wherever you go. With 400+ HP in a 2500 lb car, it was physically impossible to drive that car without a huge grin on my face. Back then anyway, the kit used readily available and inexpensive 5.0L Mustang components for the parts not supplied in the kit. A mid-engine car is a much bigger deal. If you've been around here for a while, you've probably seen the frequent and extensive discussions on transaxles; they're not easy to get (in the US anyway), expensive, and you need an engine adapter, clutch, axles, shift linkage etc. to get it to work.

As you can see from some of the replies here, it's not uncommon for guys to start with a Cobra build and take on the GT40 after that. That's something to consider.

There is another option to consider if you want to ease your way into this world. I sold the Cobra to embark on the scratch-built GT40 journey but I wanted another quick project and "toy" to enjoy during a build I knew would take years. I decided to do a V8 conversion on a Miata. I bought a rust free 1990 Miata, the "Monster Miata" kit and picked up the engine, trans, rear end, etc from salvage yards and Craig's list. Purchasing the car, kit, components and rebuilding the engine and driveline components, I completed the whole project including a MAACO paint job for the cost of a bare FFR Cobra kit and in far less time. The little bit of welding required can be accomplished with a cheap harbor Freight flux core MIG welder. Another huge hassle averted was registration and inspection. Here in MA anyway, registration and inspection of a "kit car" is a painful experience. Registering a Miata is simple and 20+ year old cars here get a safety only annual inspection; my V8 Miata rumbles in, they check the lights, horn and wipers and I'm on my way with a new inspection sticker. Although it lacks the cool factor of a Cobra or GT40, it does have the comforts of a production vehicle: heat, A/C, power steering/brakes and a top that doesn't leak and it can be done at a price point where you're comfortable using it for a daily driver .

Long story short, the GT40 is the ultimate but if you want to embark on this journey in stages, there are plenty of options.

Welcome to the madness!

Ok 6 cobras and 2 40s ,half as hard and half the price for a cobra but two different beast get your self a ride out in both ,then you will know don’t ask me how but you will ,but what ever you do enjoy

Udo

Supporter
I build, as many others, both, and they are so different. One thing GT40s and Cobras have in common, as seen in GT40s before:
25B939AF-E79D-4E2F-A108-33968A26ABE0.png

Don‘t build stereo into them, it‘s a waste of weight and appearance.

Thanks all for the great points here. Wish I could sit in and get a feel for them before pulling the trigger. Make a trip to RCR and FF, unless any folks here are near Northern California?

I hear you all on the cobra (and maybe I'll start here and save the GT40 for next time), it feels more practical, cheaper, easier to build, and I know I'll have fun. Another part of me is I see at least 1 other cobra in town, and others here and there - but never have I seen the GT40 - and that exclusivity toys with my head.

Another question, handling, how do you think about the difference here - I'e heard the cobras can slip out on the turns if you're not careful; what are your experiences withe the GT40?

Kyle

Supporter
I’ve never considered a cobra but I am going to build a Coupe next, have an SLC currently. The SLC is uncomfortable, super loud, noisy suspension, not pleasant to get out of. You get attention everywhere but the reality is these cars are literally race cars on the street. I’m really hoping the coupe is a bit different experience as I try to make it as comfortable of a street car as possible. Go visit the ffr forums too. You’ll see a stark difference in car building skills here vs there.

I'll tell you from experience, the Cobra is easy to build compared to a closed cockpit car. You have to watch the forecast/radar closer though.

Charlie M

Supporter
I haven't been there in a while, but in the past FFR was always happy to provide plant tours. They have some impressive automated cutting and welding equipment there. They're in Wareham, MA right near Cape Cod. When the weather gets better here you could do the plant tour then spend a nice weekend on the Cape.

Back