Hello

I was poking around on the internet specifically on a cobra forum and stumbled onto a message about RCR GT40s. Stupid me because I found a link to the RCR gt40 kit being Ebay'd. Well, one thing lead to another and I ended up winning the auction so off to Flordia I go this Sunday to inspect it before I finalize the purchase.

I was contiplating building an FFR Daytona kit a few years from now but this GT40 was just too hard to pass up so I'm going to take the plunge.

My last car was a Lotus Elise. Had it for ~three years. It was as close to a kit car as I could get but it left me a little sour on a few aspects of owning it. The thing I really liked was the mid-engined chassis and striking looks. I expect the GT to be all that plus some. I'm particularly excited about building the car from scratch. For me it will help demistify the exotic 'don't touch it' aspect of having such a car.

So now I'm sitting here with butterflies in my stomach thinking about building this kit and wondering what I've gotten myself into. Anyone out there want to give me a virtural hug?

One maybe stupid question this far along for a current owner but I'm 5'10". The Elise was not bad but I recollect it was around 44" tall. I measured it once just for fun. How's the fit in one of these things for someone my height?

I'm going up to see a CAV GT40 on Friday. The shop that has it is the west coast engine builder for them as they are received from the factory. I'll be using this place for my engine adn tuning. I saw a CAV GT about five years ago and recall it's about the same size as an Elise only wider. If that's the case then I'm set. If not then I guess I'll learn to duck.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s and the Family Jeff!!!

You got a pretty good deal from the look of it!

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Jeff -

You should not have any problem with 'fit'. The CAV is quite roomy. I have an Exige and it's a whole lot smaller and tighter than the CAV. My CAV (#123) has bags of room! Enjoy!

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff,

Congrats on your newest acquisition, and welcome.

I'm a bit over 6' and have no trouble at all in a 40, so you should find it more than comfortable. Getting in and out of a 40 is a piece of cake, moreso when compared to the Lotus. My cousin also has an Elise, and I found it challenging to get in and out of it (it was great fun to drive, though). Those darn door sills...

I'm sure you've already found that there are quite a few build threads on the forum - you'll find real gold in each thread and some ideas I'm sure you'll want to blend into your 40... not to mention solutions to some of the challenges you'll come across.

I hope you'll start your own build thread when you get started. We're all looking forward to watching your 40 come together!

Best,

T.

You should not have a problem. Get a bubble on the roof as it helps if you wear a helmet on the track. The door sills become arm rest if that gives you an ideal of how low you sit. I'm 6' and 225#, and with the detachable steering wheel it is comfortable. My problem is my #12 EEEE feet. I need to wear lace up driving shoes. I think my MKII is wider than the MkI, maybe not. Have fun....I'm sitting here trying to think of someplace I need to go tonight in the car. Well I guess you don't need an excuse.
Grady

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'm 6'3 on a good day and when sitting in the seat of my RCR, I can't stretch my feet out far enough to touch the end of the foot-box...

No bubble - no problem....

Back