Help me identifying this gearbox plz

Hello,

When buying my 924, the seller gave me a Gearbox telling me it was a 5 gears 24 gearbox but after investigations it doesn't seem to fit on my 924. So I'm asking from wich car it comes from.
The serial is 016/301103N and at the left of this i can read WWO1

Here is pics of it:

and if we put the gearbox at rear of the car, gears are like this :

5 3 1
| N |
R 4 2

Don't if it help..

Thanks in advance
Alex

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It appears to be the Audi 016 box.. I believe that most of them (016) come from Audi-5000 Sedans.

I believe the basic gearbox is compatible to the 924/944 but I'm no expert. Hopefully one will chime in here soon...

Good luck with your project!

It appears to be the Audi 016 box.. I believe that most of them (016) come from Audi-5000 Sedans.

I believe the basic gearbox is compatible to the 924/944 but I'm no expert. Hopefully one will chime in here soon...

Good luck with your project!
I really doubt it will fit on my 24 because serial don't match to 924 gearbox serial (
BV4: type 088/A,code letters XT
BV5 inv: type 016/Y,code letters VB
BV5 1980: type 016/9,code letters VR
BV5 1981 et autres: type 016/9,code letters MF
BV5 avec autobloquant 1982: type 016/9,code letters 5Q)

and because of position of the gears. It look like this gearbox is fit to stand in the front of the car (I may be wrong but the position of the gears on the gear box let me think that)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yes - the Audi 016 is a Front drive gearbox.
What I meant was the basic gear housing and gears were supposed to be very close if not interchangeable (from what I was told) with the 924/944 gearbox. The gear housing is the Iron part of that assembly you have there.

Sorry..

Edit -

Using the Search function here comes up with a LOT of information on these gear boxes as they are the cheapest source of Mid-Engine car gearboxes..

The box that you show pics of is definitly from a Porsche there does not appear to be provisions for a clutch. If you notice the round tube with the squares attached to it, that is so you can connect the torque tube to it

Adrian

It isn't an 016 from the Audi 5000. Looks just like the transaxle I have here from a 924. The shift lever is the same. The shift pattern depends on how you hook up the shifter.

There were a couple of options for your 924, so it is really going to depend on what year and type of gearbox you have.

I would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work

What year is your Porsche? There were two different transaxles used on the 924 one like the one you have shown which is either out of a 924 or 944. The other one is the snail shell transaxle which did not have a bellhousing where it matted to the transaxle.

What year is your Porsche? There were two different transaxles used on the 924 one like the one you have shown which is either out of a 924 or 944. The other one is the snail shell transaxle which did not have a bellhousing where it matted to the transaxle.
My '24 is a 77 targa, so a 4 gears (088), but the gearbox is dead and is still installed on it so I can't check the full serial

There were a couple of options for your 924, so it is really going to depend on what year and type of gearbox you have.

I would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
Thanks for your help but there one thing I don't understand: 'The shift pattern depends on how you hook up the shifter.'
If I install the gearbox in the same position than the one installed on my 24, I have this settings :
5 3 1
| N |
R 4 2

I don't understand how I can hook the shifter to have 1st gear at left and Reverse at right?

I've found a 4 gear gearbox and the serial is 0883012116 . I will wait a little before going buying it.

Last edited:
I don't understand this. If you have a 77 924, you have an 088 4 spd with the normal H shift pattern. The transaxle in the picture is an 016 5 speed and the pattern should be the modified H with 5th above reverse.
This transaxle should be a direct bolt in with the exception of the shift rod. the shift rod may be slightly short causing the shift lever to hit the rear of the opening in the floor. I've done this swap in the 77 924 that I used to have.

The numbers dont make sense either. Could the number be 016/8........?

There should also be a different code on the top flange of the transaxle bellhousing beginning with VA, VB, VQ, UV, VR, MD, ME, MF or MO. There is no WW code even on any of the 944 series transaxles. This code identifies the year and ratios.

I don't understand why your shift pattern is backwards. The shift linkage is exactly the same on both the 4 and 5 speed transaxles. In fact, both transaxles are not much different internally and externally. The rear casting is just longer on the 5 spd to house 5th gear.

The one in the picture is definitely from a 924. It has the correct coupler and the cast bracket sticking out is the mufffler bracket for the 5 speed. You should have a muffler bracket on your 4 speed that is made out of heavt sheetmetal.

This is how the 5 spd will be:

1 3 5
N
2 4 R

The 4 spd should be:

1 3
N
2 4 R

I don't understand this. If you have a 77 924, you have an 088 4 spd with the normal H shift pattern. The transaxle in the picture is an 016 5 speed and the pattern should be the modified H with 5th above reverse.
This transaxle should be a direct bolt in with the exception of the shift rod. the shift rod may be slightly short causing the shift lever to hit the rear of the opening in the floor. I've done this swap in the 77 924 that I used to have.

The numbers dont make sense either. Could the number be 016/8........?

There should also be a different code on the top flange of the transaxle bellhousing beginning with VA, VB, VQ, UV, VR, MD, ME, MF or MO. There is no WW code even on any of the 944 series transaxles. This code identifies the year and ratios.

I will receive soon my new 4 gear gearbox (from another 77 924), So I will have 3 gearbox: the new, the 4 gears from my 24 (dead), the 5 gears that was given to me when buying my '24. The dead gearbox will go to the trash, and the 5 gears, I don't need it so I'm going to sell it.
But I don't want to sell it untill I know the origin of it.
Can it be a front drive gearbox from audi 100?

Looks a lot like an Audi 100 box I had a lifetime ago, I have a feeling it had inboard brakes, but I could be confusing the brakes with the Alfa Sud gearboxes I have no answer but it might be the correct way to be looking:thumbsup:

Looks a lot like an Audi 100 box I had a lifetime ago, I have a feeling it had inboard brakes, but I could be confusing the brakes with the Alfa Sud gearboxes I have no answer but it might be the correct way to be looking:thumbsup:

No, It is a Porsche 924 box. The only car to use the coupling that is on the input shaft is the Porsche 924/944/968. The early 924 (76-84) had the smaller shaft as yours has. ALL other versions have provisions for the clutch and a machined tip for a pilot bearing.

If you could give me the correct code number from the top of the bellhousing I can identify what year it is. I attached a picture of where to look for this number.

Attachments

• DSC08628.JPG
    DSC08628.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 304
No, It is a Porsche 924 box. The only car to use the coupling that is on the input shaft is the Porsche 924/944/968. The early 924 (76-84) had the smaller shaft as yours has. ALL other versions have provisions for the clutch and a machined tip for a pilot bearing.

If you could give me the correct code number from the top of the bellhousing I can identify what year it is. I attached a picture of where to look for this number.
Unfortunatly this number is almost unreadable, all i have is this:
MD2103... not sure of 1 and 3(could be 9...) sorry I hope it helps

MD2103

MD = 924 1981; 1982; 1983; 1984 rest of world (non US, Canada, Japan)

21 = manufacture day 21 of month

03 = March

the next number would determine the exact year 1 = 1981; 2 = 1982;
3 = 1983; 4 = 1984

ratios:

1st 10:36 3.600
2nd 16:34 2.125
3rd 24:25 1.458
4th 28:31 1.107
5th 35:30 0.857
R 12:42 3.500

final 9:35 3.889

Hi,

Anyone help me with the code MR 03041 , I'm told it came out of an Audi 500 SE, I'm looking to find the ratios, in particular the final drive.

Thanks in Advance

Brad

Back