HELP WITH A ACCELERATOR PEDAL CABLE

I need advice on routing my throttle cable. I have an SBC and an Alien intake. I'm not able to get through to Nelson Racing Engines for advice. I've got the Tilton 600 pedal set. It seems like there's going to be a lot of bends and brackets to fabricate. Any help would be great!

I switched from DBW to cable. I’ve re-worked the cable once to remove a 90 bend at the peda because it had too much friction.

my current setup uses one off brackets to allow the cable to come straight back from the pedals along the center spar. Through the fuel tank hole, then a big S bend to get up to the front of the engine then back to the TB.

it’s not pretty and works OK.

DO use a quality cable and sheath. It makes a difference. Or use a cheap one, once it’s all worked out then replace with a good one.

We converted our Lotus as well. Similar experience.

In my experience, trying to use a cable and running the cable out toward the front of the car and then looping it back to run to the engine does not really work. The 180 degree loop causes too much friction and it takes a ton of force at the throttle pedal to move the throttle blade at all. On the last GTM we built with cable throttle, I ended up building a 'reverser arm" that attached to the throttle pedal and then ran the cable straight back from the throttle "reverser" to the throttle body. In the GTM, you've got the large tunnel in the center of the car to run the cable thru......so not sure how that would work in an SL-C.....

In my experience, trying to use a cable and running the cable out toward the front of the car and then looping it back to run to the engine does not really work. The 180 degree loop causes too much friction and it takes a ton of force at the throttle pedal to move the throttle blade at all. On the last GTM we built with cable throttle, I ended up building a 'reverser arm" that attached to the throttle pedal and then ran the cable straight back from the throttle "reverser" to the throttle body. In the GTM, you've got the large tunnel in the center of the car to run the cable thru......so not sure how that would work in an SL-C.....
Thank you! Any chance that you have a picture of what you fabricated for the pedal?

I was thinking of running it through the front firewall where the radiator is then sweeping back with a large loop, then along the center spar and then up the front of the gas tank at an angle and then passing through the rear firewall at the height of the intake.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sweeping loops are good. Also important is that you restrain the jacket every so often to keep the cable jacket from moving as you actuate the throttle. Any movement of the jacket is lost movement on the other end...

Steve,

Here is how I set my Tilton Pedal assembly up to accept a cable. I designed and 3D printed a reverser linkage and ran my cable straight back along the spine, thru the hole in the fuel tank, up and over the motor to the throttle body at the rear of the motor.

Idle
2020-10-05 19.47.37.jpg

Full Throttle
2020-10-05 19.47.44.jpg

With the cable installed
2020-10-06 19.40.56.jpg

Cable running along the spine, I sourced my cable from Pegasus Racing
2020-10-08 18.26.47.jpg

Cable up and over the engine (wrapped in heat wrap, silver)
2021-01-16 16.05.43.jpg

If my 3D printed bracket does not hold up (it has held up during my go-kart sessions so far) I plan to machine one from aluminum or have one 3D printed on either a carbon fiber printer or a metal printer. I do not have detailed drawings of my design since I printed it but I can share my 3D CAD data with you (Solidworks 2020).

WOW! That is EXACTLY what I needed to see! I NEVER would have thought of running the cable underneath. Thank you so much! I would love to see drawings if they are available. You made my day!

The LS pedal was already mounted as the car started out FBW and I couldn't find anything aftermarket that really looked like it would fit or mount well in that area, so I just kept the LS pedal and attached the reversing linkage to it.

You have no idea how much you've helped. I've been so stressed out about this!
Steve,

No problem, always happy to help out a fellow builder.

Attached is an assembly drawing and some detail drawings. The linkage arm is simple and straighforward but if you were to machine the bracket I would suggest simplifying the design. It is currently optimized for strength via 3D printing.

Attachments

• linkage.pdf
    116.5 KB · Views: 232
  • PEDAL LINKAGE.pdf
    180 KB · Views: 217
  • printed bracket.pdf
    137.1 KB · Views: 192
  • throttle cable end.pdf
    116.5 KB · Views: 221
Steve,

No problem, always happy to help out a fellow builder.

Attached is an assembly drawing and some detail drawings. The linkage arm is simple and straighforward but if you were to machine the bracket I would suggest simplifying the design. It is currently optimized for strength via 3D printing.
Thank you so much! Your design is outstanding! It looks like tilton made the part!

Very well done Kurt, hats of to that level of detailed engineering.. I'm thinking of changing my CAV pedal assy too, and Tilton is one of the options on the table. The throttle cable is one of the problem areas for me, at least on paper.. this is a great idea!

Back