Help With Shopping List

As title really.

Looking to build a reasonably hot 302 that’s still driveable on the street. Aiming for ~450 flywheel hp.

Can I stay with stock capacity or will I need to stroke it?

Any help with potential shopping list would be greatly appreciated.

Ed McClements

Supporter
LMGTFY

Ron at STS Imports brings containers of new & used cars and parts into the UK on a regular basis, and could ship an engine for you. I am not a customer, but he a good reputation amongst the UK fraternity and you can e-mail him direct for a quote.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The only way I know of to build 450 hp with a stock bore/stroke 302 and still have it to be docile on the street is to use power adders such as turbocharging or supercharging. I don’t count nitrous oxide as I’ve never believed in using the stuff.
A 347 stroker will do it normally aspirated with a hydraulic roller cam that is not too lumpy to be comfortably driven on the street.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I just dyno'ed my 355 SBC at 451 crank HP. Runs on pump gas and idles at 1000rpms. That ought to tell you something about engine size. Since you want a ford I would recommend a 351 and not a stroked 302. Build something very similar. Good set of CNCed aluminum heads 2.02 intakes, big hyd roller cam (295ish duration, .560ish lift) 10.6-10.8 to 1 CR with a high rise intake and 750 Holley.

That ought to put you right there without compromises to wrist pins in the oil control rings etc. of a 347. If you must use a 302 block then my preference would be a 331.

Steve

Supporter
Phil,

I have a 302 bored to 306 with 500hp at 7000rpm. Compression is 10.5:1 so not crazy (Dennis Olthoff chided me for giving up 50-75hp by not going to 11.5:1). It can be done, you'll give up some torque but it'll wind out pretty nicely and sound a lot like the high strung originals. It's a bit pricey as you need high rpm and expensive bits to keep it from grenading itself. I've had mine on the dyno and it was idling nicely and seemed docile enough but I can't say I've got it on the street yet to confirm it's "street friendly".

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
What is wrong with a 347?
Easy to get 450 at the flywheel.
Craft has them for $9500.
I've bought several motors from them over the years. Great people to do business with.

I had a 347 in my Cobra. Lots of torque, very streetable engine. Easy to cruise at 1500 rpms and would spend to 6,500.

The choice of cam makes a big difference in the way it drives on the street.

I build another 347 for my GT 40 with Bora injection system. I changed the cam to move the hp/tq range up a 1000 rpms. I think with the low 1, 2, 3 gears in the G50 I can give up some of the low end torque my other motor made.

On a chassis dyno the other motor made 350 ft lbs at 2200 rpms. Easy to blow the 11" wide tires off. To easy!

I hope this motor will make 400 - 420 tq on a chassis dyno. We should know soon.

Dwight

.Hi Phil. I imported a 331 Ford recently with alliance shipping group. I think the shipping cost was around £600 ish for a 250 KG container to my door. The service was brilliant, very good up to date information all the way through. They arranged the local pick up from the engine shop and all the import duties too. Contact Charlie simpkin at their London office. [email protected]

Back