Hewland DG's

Are there any differences between DG300, DGB, and DGC? If so, what are they?

p.s.
The current Hewland website only lists the DG300 so I have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

HI middy
I have a hewland DGB 201 It will not fit in the rear of a GT 40 , but I am installing in the back of the 917 chassis. the problem is with a flat 6 porsche engine the can go very low, were the Ford V8 with a sump sits too high i. I believe the DGB van handle big hp. magnesium casing straight cut dog gears , very well made valued at about GBP 12000 !!
The car will run in a matter of weeks .The engine is a ex 962 flat fan 720 hp Le mans spec .
Regards

Hi Midde
We have installed a VGC into our race car. It does pose some problems with the overall length of the engine gearbox assembly but I hope the pain we have gone thru will pay dividends. We have made a bellhousing to mate a Hewland to the 302 so if you do proceed with your installation I can help with problems you are about to encouter !

Iain

I have Porsche to Hewland and Ford to Hewland bellhousings if anyone needs them in the future.
The DG300 is the old Formula 5000 box. It may have had Formula 1 use before that. Indy cars used Hewlands but were two or three speeds instead of 5 like the DG300. LG 500/LG600 Hewlands were the Can Am gearboxes. LG stood for "Large Gearbox". DG stands for different Gearbox". FT stands for F@#$ing Transaxle". SO, who knows what DGB or DGc stands for?
DG300s are the best shifting H pattern Hewland in my opinion. Some variants used bigger gears to handle more torque but the shiftability suffered. You need only use the clutch to get started off with a well built DG300.

Hi Middy
yes but,, lending racecars HMMM !,we have a big race in november, re-enacting the famous Kyalami 9 hour , maybe we can squeeze a few laps in before that , maybe at Zwartkops racetrack on a wednesday afternoon. we have a 917 demonstrator car with 315hp with g50 gearbox , easy to drive but very fast . give me a call when you are coming . thanks peter

Back