Hi there

Everybody. Im Graeme wight jr, heres a bit about me from my web site http://www.electricracing.co.uk/ I build racingcars, and race them and so on, i also raced a GT40 at Shelsley Walsh a few years.
Why i am on here is I am build a KV6 2.5 engine in to my wee Hillman Imp (there is a video of it racing on my site with its 1l imp engine) any way i have a few questions about the gearbox i have and thought this would be the site to ask them. Its a renault 369 box, can the diff be turned inside the casing? the diff out put shafts are very low and i would have liked to have flipped the box upside down then turned the diff. what lsd`s can i get, can i get different gear ratios, taller 1st ? i need a standard bell housing aswell and out put c/v`s.
Regards Graeme

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Graham and welcome.
Glad to hear from Hillclimb folks here on the Forum. Also glad to hear from the Imp fraternity as we used to run a spaceframe 1040cc Sunbeam Stiletto in Hillclimbs mainly at Harewood, Scammonden, Aintree and Curborough. Your project sounds very interesting. Are you setting it up mid or rear engined?
In answer to your questions I would suggest that you contact Chris Cole (formerly Mach 1 gearboxes) who is well versed in all matters Renault., ratios, LSD etc. He will be able to give you chapter and verse on the Renault 369 box, bellhousing or adapters and driveshaft flanges (probably Ford 100mm or 108mm sizes). He can be contacted on 01952 416051.
Good luck with your project. Hope to see it performing in the future.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Graeme

Welcome to GT40s.com, lots of interest in all things fast here and a fair number of hillclimber/sprinters too.

Re the UN1/369 trans, Chris Cole is very much the person to speak to but there are a number of options available, including upgrades to single piece shaft conversions, from the likes of Quaife and also a 6-speed straight cut conversion available from Kevin Jone of GTO Engineering.

More details here: http://www.gtoracing.co.uk/images/6SpeedGearkit.pdf

We use the Quaife conversion on Roy Smart's GTD40 Mk1 and it works very well and has longer 1st and 2nd gears. It is a conversion that was designed initially by fellow GTD (T70) owner Derek Bell and has worked well although I notice from his website that he no longer makes it available.
Index

In my humble opinion, biggest transformation of Renault trans is from fitting Quaife ATB diff. No doubt other versions are available too but the ATB is now commonplace in GTD40s with UN1s.

If you'd like to try the 6-speed UN1 conversion, Kevin Jones may well have a demo car with one fitted or I can probably hook you up with a owners of a GTD40 and GTD R42 who can advise or possibly offer test drives...:thumbsup:

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi Graham and welcome to the forum.
I don't have any answers to your questions, but since the subjects of Imps, and Curburough (MikeP) came up, and also Doune which is not far from me;
Many years ago I used to help a friend of mine with his Imp, also 1l wills rings and Webers etc, which we had a lot of fun with. Here is a pic, a long time ago at Curborough where he didn't realise until the last moment that he needed to go left after the start, not straight on. After this, he suffered a total loss of control, and ended up on the grass heading for the trees. I thought it was hilarious anyway:laugh: .
Graham, I watched your awesome video of the Imp at Doune, and see that you must be truly dedicated to want to go even faster:shocked:.
Good luck with your project, and let us know when you are next at Doune.

regards
Dave

Attachments

• imp.jpg
    imp.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 242
Reading again - 'Hillman Imps' - now there's a blast from the past....:thumbsup:

I remember many moons ago in my teens (late 70s?) being at Blackbushe for an NDRC drag meeting, which had a drag bike powered by 2 hillman imp engines....

And Curborough, nothing can beat the sound of the late great Tom Hammond in his Audi Quattro S1 - Pikes peak car - 720+BHP and in our class....:sad: - needless to say we didnt win that day! where we crossed the finish at about 98mph - Tom crossed it at 134mph!! :stunned:

Mike Pass

Supporter
I also remember Tom Hammonds monster Audi (which he towed with a green short Sport Quattro!) at Harewood. It was running 5 Bar boost and you would hear the wastegate from the paddock when he revved it on the line because it's shriek was far louder than the engine. When he hit the loud pedal on the long steep uphill straight and the turbo cut in you could see it snap his head back. Magic.
Cheers
Mike

Hello All, I decided to go to the Daytona Beach Turkey Run this year and thats where it happened. Not that I had never seen a GT40 before as I had one as a child with my race car set I received for Christmas and have studied and read about the car for years. I guess it was seeing it in the flesh. I always loved the look of the car. A timeless design for sure. Anyway, I've been a wreck since seeing a CAV GT40. I'm trying everything I can to put one in my garage. Without telling a lie I can't sleep in thinking of ways to make it happen. I'm about 2/3 of the way there with the aid of financing. I'm also willing to sell my beloved 1993 Mazda RX-7 which is a car I've spent many hours creating and coveting. She is a fantastic car. But the GT40 is the temptress luring me away from her. My question to all of you is this. Whats the GT40 like to live with. Problem areas, concerns, positives, negatives. Regardless of what you might say I doubt it will deter me from getting the car. Beg, borrow or steal I must have one. Any comments on CAV, Superformance, RCR, C&G Auto or ERA. Wish me luck. The desire is killing me.

Back