Historic car plates??

Hi everyone..

We'll like I said in my intro post I'm not quite ready to buy a GT40, I'm currently rebuilding a BMW E28 ( this was my father old car and I have so may memories with this one..), so untill I finish it I can't do anything else.

But I'm doing my research and I can't seem to find infos on if a replica GT40 (and which brand) can get historic car plates!!
You'll ask why do you even care ... But here in Greece cars in general are reason for incresed tax! The bigger the engine the higher the tax!!!
Well I already have 5 passenger cars in the family so I don't want to get another car that will increase the taxes I pay! The GT40 is not an everyday car, so I don't want to pay much for a car that I'll drive only a handfull of times!

Cars with historic plates are excluded by taxes!! So I wanted to know which of the current manufactures of kit cars can get historic car plates!

Does it have to do with the material of the chassis?
The original GT40 had steel chassis, the replica should also have a steel chassis?

If anyone know anything about this please tell me!

Thank you in advance.
George

In the United States, the regulations regarding Historic Plates vary state to state. Depending on the state, it does not really matter which of the replicas/kits you are trying to register. What matters is the process you go through with the state to have your car registered. In some states, the process is not very difficult. Some owners get "creative" in how they present the car to the state, and some states don't check very thoroughly. The result is likely any car from any brand could theoretically be registered as Historic, depending on the state. Generally I would think the more accurate the replica, the easier the process would be to get Historic Plates. Certainly I know of a lot of Superformance Cobras, Daytonas and GT40s that have been registered as Historic. That is the brand I have experience with. I don't know about the others.

- Jeffrey

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
HiGeorge
Here in the UK you can "swap" plates for ones that are age related, for a fee.

But the car will still have the registration date when it was first used.

So it would then come down to what the Greek government would require to "prove" the age of the car.

As you are in the EU you may be able to import a used car from the UK without import taxes

Ian

Our lawmakers are that smart that they renamed the import tax to something else!
All cars new or used have that "import" tax!!

The law on the other hand say ... "If a car has historic plates then when imported it can keep them...!"
Well I'm planning to go and ask around at the Hellenic Car Club but there may be a window so I can have my dream fulfilled!

Here it's a illegal a Greek resident to drive a car with foreign plates! Even if the car is 100% legal!!

Greek laws..!! I won't say anything more on that!!

But if I can pay something extra in UK and have historic plates like that then I'm interested!!

George!

Mike Pass

Supporter
My 1998 GTD now has a 1966 plate which cost about £300 in total and was very easy to do. There are lots of companies in the UK with lots of age related plates at a low cost.
Cheers
Mike

Without saying too much, it took more than legal documents to get my 911 out of Greece. I shudder to think what it will take to a get a 40 in!

Keith

But you're such a dodgy looking person, anyone could be forgiven for thinking you were pulling a fast one.... :quirk:

(Even a Greek Customs Officer)

Back