Holes in panels

I would like to put a hole in a panel, and would like to put one of the 'flared' holes that many cars have... about 2.5inch dia

This I believe will stop an otherwise flat panel from 'drumming'... (as well as giving me the needed hole!)

Does anyone know what tool/drill/stretcher is used to make these holes?

Neil

Neil, You need a punch and flare kit, see them at irvansmith.com. Rather expensive for one hole, but they do a nice job.
Brian

Neil.

You can also use Anti-vibration/sound deadenig pads to overcome the 'drumming' you mentioned. These are self adhesive and come in packs of 12 and are available in several lengths and widths. Most automotive paint suppliers should stock them.

Thanks guys,

I am actually looking for a hole as well as the extra strength... so the punch and flare kit looks ideal.... anybody know anywhere in the UK that supplies these... save expensive shipping charges?

Also, what are peoples experiences of adding ribs to flat panels?

I am thinking of making up a male and female die set in both a straight rib, and in a rib end section, and then using a heavy duty vice to 'press' the ribbing into the panels bit at a time, working my way along for longer ribs....

This is a little crude, but unless anyone can suggest a better approach its the one I'll be taking!

Neil

Brian Magee

Supporter
Neil
I have the tool you want. It is a home made affair but I have used it succesfully on 18g aluminium. You first have to make a 60mm hole then this tool flares the edge. You are welcome to borrow it.I am also trying to sort out the magazines you want. Give me a ring sometime.

Brian.
smile.gif

Thanks Brian, sounds perfect.. 60mm is a nice size as well.... and tank cutters are a darned sight cheaper than flaring tools!

I'll give you a call this evening..

As for why I need all these tools all of a sudden, I have been debating a scratch build for some time, and have decided to bite the bullet... however, I am not going to go for a space frame... As I am starting from a clean sheet, I have decided to build a monocoque... in for a penny, in for a pound as they say!

All rests on getting my hands on some suitable drawings, or enough time with a real Mk I to take adeqate quantities of measurements...

Regards

Neil

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: Neil Strenge ]

'Swaging' is the word I was looking for....

I have found a tool that does the job at £350... a little expensive for the few times I'll need it, but then again, I've allocated a decent chunk for new tooling for when I start the project...

Neil

Ron,

Harbour Freight no longer supply this model... do you know the name of the manufacturer so that I can search for other suppliers?

Neil

Neil, For the ribs, there is a machine available in the states for about 200 bucks or so that will press them in , any length you desire. I have one that came with dies for various beads and flanges, and a cutter too. When I get home tonight I will send you some pics of the machine as well as the sill and floor panels I recently made.
Brian

Brian,

sounds perfect....

The version I have found here is around $550
and only has one die produce a 1/4" swage, plus a blank to machine another size so not a competitive offering!

I suspect that at $200 I could buy it and ship it for less than half the price..

Neil

Ron Earp

Admin
Do you have a lathe? If so then it is easy to make different dyes for the ribbing. The tool you want is available from Harbour Freight, it is made in China, but my experience has been the tools are simple and strong enough to do the job.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
The Eastwood one is the one I was thinking of, but as mentioned above Harbour Freight used to carry it at about half the cost. I had one and sold it, am kicking myself now.

Ron

Neil - The Eastwood Company sells a bead roller which handles up to 18 gauge steel, is hand operated, and lists for $229 US. I don't know whether this is the tool for the job you are planning, but you should take a look. I think that a bead roller would be a lot easier to use than the dies in a vise set up which you described, although I do approve of your resoursefulness. Here is a link to the bead roller page on their web site: http://eastwoodcompany.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe?&UID=2002061512165018&SKW=TMS2&FNM=20
(I'm not sure if I posted this link correctly, but their web site is at www.eastwoodcompany.com and their phone number is 1-800-345-1178.)
Good luck.
Reagrds, Blue

Neil - On the back page of the Harbor Freight Winter 2002 catalog is a bead roller (Item number 34104-6RPB)which looks exactly like the one in the Eastwood Co catalog and is regular priced at $179.99 but marked a special at $89.99US. It includes all the mandrels which are sold separately at Eastwood. I checked the Harbor Freight web page harborfreight.com and they don't show the special price, but maybe if you give the catalog number (735-R) you will still be able to get the special price. Also available is the adjustable guide fence, item 36474-2RPB, at $14.99 US. I may call and order one of these for myself just in case I need it in the future. The order number is 1-800-423-2567.
Regards, Blue

Neil - Just to follow up on the bead rolling tool from Harbor Freight - I called today and ordered it at the special price of $89.99US as it is still available.
Good luck with your project. Please keep us all posted on your progress. Regards, Blue

Back