Holley transfer tube leak.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
After 4 years, I finally got the engine back in the car. I started it, then found fuel dripping, almost running from both ends of the transfer tube that passes fuel to the rear float chamber.
When I turned the tube between my fingers it resisted a little at first then turned freely and also the tube slides smoothly back and forth. The leaks stopped completely, so I guess it was just that the o-rings had dried out.

I will have to replace the o-rings to take no chances with fire, but has anyone else experienced this?

Holley is an 1850-3

regards
Dave

Dave, probably the worst enemy of Holleys is to sit unused for any longer length of time,particularly with modern fuel brews. Rubber parts in particular dry/shrink/crack, In your case I would suggest only removing the rear bowl in order to replace the o-rings ( This way you wont have to fight with the accelerator pump link, use a smear of grease to ensure they slide into place easily- place them on the transfer tube as you reassemble ), however if the carb has been unused &evaporated all fuel over the 4 year period you may find it requires replacement of other parts such as bowl gaskets, acc pump diaphragm, float valves, power valve etc.
The old saying -use it or lose it applies to Holleys.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Jac, thanks and understood. At least I already know which kit to buy as I went through that in the past.

regards
Dave

Your problem is very common with Holley carbs. My 40 has FI, but some of my older Corvettes with the 4160 series Holley have had this problem from sitting too long. Strongly recommend getting a complete rebuild kit and clean the innards of the carb before you rebuild. Also look out for sticky float valves.

I've ran into that many times.
If the seals are that dried out a good cleaning and rebuild is in order. Holley's are sensitive to dirt and gum.
Buy yourself three cans of spray carb cleaner and a bucket of carb cleaner to soak the parts in. Disassemble and spray carb cleaner through all the passages you can find. Soak the parts in cleaner, rinse, and spray the passages again and again. I've done many carbs this way and never had a problem with one afterward.

Back