How to identify an Audi transaxel

hi guys, i have found a 1998 Audi 80 v6 2.6l with a manual trans attached i think its a o1a or 01x or similar its 2wd it has a shifter rod entering from the back.Where can i find the model stamped on the box i also have a 016 and thats on the top of the bell housing but cant see anything on this v6 box at all ,the car has a cassis number of wauzzz8cza204830 maybe this code will give a glue what model the box is and what ratios it might have, its a big job to pull from the car, would the bellhousing pattern of this new box be the same as my 016 that came off a 5cyl motor or is the v6 different.
many thanks for any help
graeme

hi guys, i have found a 1998 Audi 80 v6 2.6l with a manual trans attached i think its a o1a or 01x or similar its 2wd it has a shifter rod entering from the back.Where can i find the model stamped on the box i also have a 016 and thats on the top of the bell housing but cant see anything on this v6 box at all ,the car has a cassis number of wauzzz8cza204830 maybe this code will give a glue what model the box is and what ratios it might have, its a big job to pull from the car, would the bellhousing pattern of this new box be the same as my 016 that came off a 5cyl motor or is the v6 different.
many thanks for any help
graeme

The 2.6 V6 transaxle is an 01A/012.

Hi Scott, Thanks for the info, i decided to pull it out anyway couldn't go too far wrong for $60nz turned out it was a 012, do you think it would be better than a 016 with jims mod plate, it looks like it would be harder to hook up for a gear shift as its rear entry, i have never seen a shift arrangement around for a mid mount rear shift box. Is it even possiable or am i wasting my time, it turns out the bolt pattern was the same as the 016, i'm only putting a std 1uz infront of it, so now have a difficult choice which box to use. From your note above could it also have been an 01A.
Best Regards
Graeme

Graeme, Pm me your e mail and ill send you some pics of my gear shift set up, its very easy to do and is very direct .
where in NZ are you?

cheers John

Its quite easy Graeme. Check out what some of the Porsche guys have done as well. Its really not too much different from that of a UN1 type - just the actuators the other way around.

For a cable actuated shifter, take a look the the Boxster 5 speed arrangement. They basically use a 012 transaxle.

Andy

thanks for the updates guys, the 012 is looking easier to hook up than the 016 but time will tell , i am trying hard to use the strongest box, don't really want to have to change the box to a different type once car is mobile.
Best regards
Graeme

hi Scott thanks for the info, i figured for the price it was too good to leave for the crusher, someone might need it, i also have a un1 from a r25 4 speed that i got years ago and a later un1 5 speed i noticed the r25 version had the 4 spiders and the later only two, would it be posible to fit the 4 spiders to the the later box, or would it be easier to fit the 5th gear to the r25 they are both non turbo boxes, it just seemed easier to fit the 5th gear because when i discussed fitting the 4 spiders to a diff shop he backed away and drew a cross with his fingers would not go near the setup of a transaxel diff lol

Graeme, I have done just that .. put a 4-spider diff in a 2-spider UN1. Thing is .... you need to do some clever machining to get it done, and have a spacer plate installed because one diff is narrower (bearing to bearing) than the other. You will also find the PCD of the crown wheel bolts are about 1mm different to, so you need to fix that problem. Also the size of the output shafts can be different. BUT (there is always a but!) ... that was from a UN1 with 3.89 CW to a 3.44 CW. I would think both of your R25 boxes have 3.89s and may just be a simple bolt/unbolt swap.
You may be better to search the site here and find the article on making a 2-spider into a 4-spider. Not that difficult.

Failing that - pop up to my new place - I have a UN1 just as you want open on the workbench - with various diffs floating around, so you can decide from there.
Jug is on and the beer cold.

Last edited:
You've chosen poorly

Strength wise
016 > 012
I have been running a twin turbo jag v12 through an 012 box for years, no issues at all, its a great gearbox. Mine is from a diesel and gives the car a top speed of 187 mph - 0-60 just over 3 secs if it didnt wheelspin,
the v12 has now been changed for an Audi V8 with bigger turbos, keeping the same transaxle though and using a standard VW vr6 clutch

I have been running a twin turbo jag v12 through an 012 box for years, no issues at all, its a great gearbox. Mine is from a diesel and gives the car a top speed of 187 mph - 0-60 just over 3 secs if it didnt wheelspin,
the v12 has now been changed for an Audi V8 with bigger turbos, keeping the same transaxle though and using a standard VW vr6 clutch

Good for you.

If you drive sensibly, the 012 can handle a decent amount of power, however I've seen it fail in any number of ways at stock power levels. It's all how it's used.

Drop the clutch at 3000 rpm with your twin turbo V8 and tell me how many teeth your first gear will have left. The answer will be significantly less than what you started out with.

Back