How to overtake at Bathurst

That certainly is some great driving there.

I must say it's a small world though.

Sitting on the lounge with my girlfriend watching the clip, the surprise came when discovering it is her ex driving the car! Not that she can recall that race off the top of her head, she does remember that he did compete in a number of reverse grid events.

Cheers.

Steve.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Don't know about that. Excellent driving and he did appear to be out horsepowered by some of the other cars. Was that a reverse grid race?

Agreed. Too much difference in speed in the braking zones and corners made be believe this was a different category or class event.

Driver was Dean Evans. Modern Motor Magazine driver. Well versed in keeping underpowered Lotus Trophy cars up in corner speed. Cars were supposedly identical spec. It was not Deans car (guest drive) so he had no "fear"..... that always helps.

It was a Lotus trophy race so all one make, but maybe big differences in engines? Very entertaining.

It looks like he was passing by braking later than everyone else (look for brake lights just before he passes the other cars).

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps this might be the Elise he was driving..... YouTube - Lotus Elise GT1

As noted on Youtube though - he may be taking a walk to the scrutineers office...

Why is it some guys can't give credit for a job well done, without throwing up the bogie of a 'cheater' entry thus denigrating a superb effort?

Tim has already said the cars are near enough identical spec. In a straightline drag Dean Evans was losing out slightly to a couple of cars in front! Basically he got past the field because he was carrying more speed through the corners and was pretty commited in his outbraking/overtaking moves. Also, kudos to all drivers as there appeared to be no contact despite some pretty tight situations

Could he have been much more familiar with the track than a lot of the other drivers were? As I understand it Bathurst can be a pretty intimidating circuit if you're not used to it.

Last edited:
Simply good commited driving. It looks reverse grid to me as the competitors' corner speed seems to drop the further up the field he gets. The last few passes made the other cars look quite slow. References to scrutineers are misplaced. Anyway, it would be the clerk of the course or the stewards for bad driving behaviour.

Why is it some guys can't give credit for a job well done, without throwing up the bogie of a 'cheater' entry thus denigrating a superb effort?

Tim has already said the cars are near enough identical spec. In a straightline drag Dean Evans was losing out slightly to a couple of cars in front! Basically he got past the field because he was carrying more speed through the corners and was pretty commited in his outbraking/overtaking moves. Also, kudos to all drivers as there appeared to be no contact despite some pretty tight situations

Could he have been much more familiar with the track than a lot of the other drivers were? As I understand it Bathurst can be a pretty intimidating circuit if you're not used to it.

It's called a joke Russ.....sorry it wasn't more obvious to you.

Back