Hydrualic Throttle Control

Hi,

I am looking for a hydraulic throttle control unit. Instead of using a long cable with a lot of turns and twisting, hydraulic control seems smarter. A have heard that Summit use to have these ones many years ago but now I cannot find it anywhere. Somebody that have a clue?

Roy Smart and Paul Thompson used to use a hydrolic throttle set up on Roys' first car.I still have it in a box somewhere as when I suggested re-fitting it when I re-built the car I belive it was thought to cause more problems than it ever solved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif , so we returned to the tried and tested throttle cable.
By now I think Paul + Roy will have developed some sort of Telepathic fly by wire system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif , but I'm sure they can help if you chose to pursue hydrolics.

Thanks Jim - CNC looks great - exactly what I am looking for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy - telepathic sounds to complicated for me but thanks anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Henrik,

I have had experience with the CNC throttle on a sand car as mentioned above, used it for about 3 years.

Pros: can be routed and configured "sometimes" easier than cable. That's it!

Cons: The hydraulic line is as thick as any Morse cable therefore still has to make "sweeping" bends.

Response can be sluggish if <u>all</u> the air is not removed from the line, similar to brakes. Comes with a bleeder reservoir located at the carburetor\throttle body end that has to be located at highest point of the cable to expel all the air from the line.

Attention has to be paid to the return springs in order to put correct pressure on the hydraulics and have the throttle return quickly.

Hardware at the throttle body end is large and cumbersome, partly due to resevior.

IMHO, Morse cable is far superior, less worries, better response and can be contoured to the same radius (if not tighter) as the hydraulic line. And finally, if I’m not mistaken hydraulic is considerably more expensive. I would never consider hydraulic again, my 2 cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Henrik,
Early Hilman Imps used a pneumatics which were rapidly superceded and replaced by a cable. Nuff said!
Cable amply handles any body flex, whch the GT40 doesn't suffer from, God forbid.
The only thing that hydraulic is better for in a sand-buggy IMHO is probably cancelled out by the risk of sand and dirt getting into the system.
In a GT40, fit one of Wealden Engineering's excellent low-friction cables; otherwise forget it.

we used a hydraulic unit on a CanAm car. It was sluggish, air was a problem and when it got hot would not open the carb all of the way. They sound great but in reality are not very good.

The route need not be tortuous to a Holley if the Holley is mounted back-to-front...

Tony.

I also placed an hydraulic throttle and would not suggest doing it.You need to put a strong return spring wich makes pedal heavier and when engine room is getting hot you do not have the same effect.
I agree with others to think twice about it.

Rgds
Fred

Hi all - seems that this topics engage a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for all input with both pros and cons.

Cheers
Henrik

[ QUOTE ]

IMHO, Morse cable is far superior, less worries, better response and can be contoured to the same radius (if not tighter) as the hydraulic line. And finally, if I’m not mistaken hydraulic is considerably more expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do if a Morse cable won't work? (not a GT40, but roughly 470 degrees of bends, including a couple of 90s)

I have found that Cablecraft cables are very good. They seem to be smoother and work better around bends than the Morse.

On my old car I managed to snap a couple of cables and then I discovered throttle cables off Toyota MR2s. Mid Engined so long enough for a 40. Extremely excellent quality. They are made of about 7 cores, each of about 7 strands, so are extremely flexible and strong and very little friction. Modified the cable and brackets from a Mark 2 MR2 1990 - 1999 and never had another problem. Never saw any made up cables which came anywhere near.

Back