ID tags

Did the UK build GT40's, mk1 & JWR and the Shelby build, Holman Moody build, Alan Mann build & Karkraft build all have their own ID tags?
Or was it just one, just the same ID tag for all.
How about mk2 & 3 & 4 ?

All the "GT40" tubs were built by Lola/Ford (GT/101~GT/105), or FAV (Ford Advanced Vehicles) GT/106!Gt/112 and production chassis P1000~P108?
using Tennant panels. I believe all the chassis left England with the "Ford" ID plates.
the MK-II chassis were shipped incomplete to Shelby American at LAX for completion by the various race teams, Holman-Moody, Alan Mann or Shelby American. There are photos suggesting during this process the cars may have gotten new ID plates, and later Holman-Moody added their ID plates to MK-IIB modified chassis and also chassis later rebuilt at HM.
all the J car / MK-IV chassis received the plain Ford ID plates at Kar Kraft.

regards,
jp

This could all get quite involved ! very involved....

The production (eg, GT40/P1xxxx series) cars carried 'FORD ADVANCED VEHICLES LTD' chassis plates (the LTD is stylised, the base of the L continues underneath a slightly smaller , but still capital, T & D) or alternatively 'FORD MOTOR COMPANY' chassis plates.

That is until the FAV factory & production rights were transferred to JWA. (not JWR)

JWA had their own chassis plates on which the GT40/Pxxxx numbering system continued as before. These plates usually read 'J.W. AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING LTD'. (some plates have an additional full stop before the letter J & also spell out LIMITED rather than LTD. In addition the type face is slightly different on these ones.)

Any chassis plate mentioning MKl, Mkl, MKll, Mkll (a or b), Slough, UK, etc is a modern interpretation of a plate or a Superformance continuation car.

The original chassis were made by Abbey Panels Ltd.
Tennant began producing replacement chassis in the 1980's or thereabouts.

As you suspect, the individual race teams did what they wanted with chassis plates ! Complicated at the time & by now most have been rebuilt or restored, some with original plates & some with new or reproduction plates. Period photographs are the way to go but not many people would of photographed chassis plates in the 1960's !

Regards Steve

Don't ask me how..

Attachments

• 20210210_152806.jpg
    20210210_152806.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 1,025
(some plates have an additional full stop before the letter J & also spell out LIMITED rather than LTD. In addition the type face is slightly different on these ones.)

Just to clarify, this type I've seen on the Mark V model.

Regards Steve

Hello all,
can someone recognise that plate as the gt40 is from 1966 and I can not believe that any company built any replica at that time.
Regards, thank you
PHOTO-2021-05-10-16-52-08.jpg

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
While on the subject, what do the body panel ID tags look like? I have seen in person but do not have a photo or measurements. Any one have pics and measurements?

Hello all,
can someone recognise that plate as the gt40 is from 1966 and I can not believe that any company built any replica at that time.
Regards, thank you View attachment 115038

Sorry, as stated above, this has nothing to do with a GT40, wrong plate & not GT40 codes either !

When rules were slacker it was fairly common for builders to use a 'donor' cars details to give a kit car or replica an identity. That way you could get a log book (V5 as is now) that stated 'Ford 1966' or similar.

I have seen a GT40 (copy) in historic racing that carries a similar type of chassis number, can't remember which one off hand.

(If 'M' does translate as 1600cc that would be a Mk2 Cortina.)

Steve

Hello all thank you for letting me know. Here with the gt40 with it on so a wrong plate on a car coming from nobody will know.

Attachments

• PHOTO-2021-05-10-09-57-54.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-05-10-09-57-54.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 576
  • PHOTO-2021-05-10-09-57-44.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-05-10-09-57-44.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 585

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello all thank you for letting me know. Here with the gt40 with it on so a wrong plate on a car coming from nobody will know.

I certainly hope that you did not buy this car with the seller representing it as an original work of Ford! The other badge signifies it as a replica, so I have my doubts.

I didn't as I was waiting for that kind of answer back, thank you. I was thinking it could have been a "lost original" one from the uk from the past because of the year 1966 and the look of the plate. I have never seen the front like that one, it looks like there is a place for putting a wheel in.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Most all the Mk1 GT40’s and Replicas have a recess for a spare tire just in front of the windshield.
The attached photo is of my RCR Mk1 replica
1EABC46B-D75B-4853-86C2-9700F648E79E.jpeg

Graham Endeacott, in your latest book, Ford GT40 Anthology, page 100, I got intrigued by the small ID tags on the fibreglass body panels.
Pics show inside door and sill location. Do you have the locations for the front clip, nostril, spider and rear clip.

Its one of those details I would like to ad.

Back