Ignition timing problem motec M48

Ok need some help, just installed the engine after a freshen up as a result of a blown head gasket. I replaced timing chain set reset valve timing all good, pulled down the distributor and rebuilt it didn't change any thing. Dizzy has dual hall sensor was installed in the motor before rebuild. Installed asper motec's instructions. Started the motor not easily seems the ignition is retarded as the exhaust gas was hot. Obviously timing has changed not sure why. The CRIP setting is unchanged at 718 deg timing at idle 10 deg. Will adjusting the dizzy more advance fix the problem or can I adjust the crip or initial timing on the lap top to fix the problem. Just don't know what's changed. Any advise is welcome.

There are only two things that can screw up your timing. Reversing the wires on an inductive crank trigger or the trigger in you dizzy is in a different spot and the relationship between crank and dizzy sensor has changed enough to jump a tooth on the crank.
You can move the crip number to fix this. Your original number of 718 degrees for crip is very high.
Yes it will work but normally we set them up on the same revolution as firing, less than 360.
You need to make sure your sync reading is around 50%, if you get too close to the crank tooth it can jump a tooth.
Set your system in the timing light mode and see what you have with a timing light.

Hey Roger,

The bloke that set the motec up was the best of a bunch of so called experts that basically had no interest in spending the time to do it right that is without leaving the car there for days. I have a basic understanding on how to tune but really want to get it right. If I change the crip will I need to redo the mapping, if not given the current crip is 718 what number should I start with if I need to bring back and using the timing light how do I check the crip. I assumed that if the dizzy was close to right you could trim the timing as needed.

Mick

Yeh Mick have you put that timing light on that thing yet.

The black lead goes on the neg
The red on the pos,looks like a plus sign.
And the funny looking one goes on the #1 plug lead.
Oh yeh dont look into the light it might blind you.

Signed
Your mate from Sydney

Back