Images of original GT40 Chassis # 1103 for reference.

Ian
Looks like they borrowed the side windows from a MK III, and it has BRM wheels. I have seen a very similar car here with the same colors and wire wheels which were subsequently changed over to halibrands, I personally would love to see this one in person...bit of a trip for me though. I remember the first time I sat in the vehicle was that smell...not a bad thing..I bet this one is very similar. It looks like she was "rode hard and put away wet" as we say here. I took great pleasure looking at these photos, and thanks for the posts.
Phil

Jimmy's right on. 1103 is a MKIII, although there are some non-standard items like the MKI exhaust fitted.

With so few MKIII's around, it would be a shame not restore the car for road service again.

Chris

[ QUOTE ]
Door, notice the fuel cut of switch located through the window.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not just a fuel cutoff switch. It also switches between the left and right fuel tanks.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Unfortunately that poor old MkIII is way down on Beaulieu's rare car list.
I saw another GT40 in the Museum Of Transport in Glasgow a few years back but they had looked after it. It was gone last time I was up there last month. Maybe it was on loan.

I wasn't sure about that mechanical fuel switch as there also is a switch on the dash called fuel, left and right, would that be just controlling pumps?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Iain,
Maybe this is the configuration.
The GT40 prototype fuel tap is a two way on/off/on plumbing valve made by Brooklands Aviation Co. and was usually situated on the inside bulkead. This was used for manually selecting the flow from the fuel tanks through a balance line.
The switches on the dash were standard on/off Lucas toggles or rockers as in the MkIII, to control the electric pumps.

Those are great pictures. It's sad to see such a wonderful car neglected. I hope someone pressures them to have it restored. Not many MkIII's around.

Bill D

Since there was only seven built the MKIII is a rare beast. But do not forget that Ford's Heritage car appears at Goodwood Revival as a course car. Funnily enough it is now painted to a similar colour scheme as P1103 from it's original silver.
Regards Allan

Back